Subject: TARGET-->Professionalism

"Is it necessary to meet 100% of the criteria like those listed above to
be professional or should the exceeding of expectations in some areas
balance out shortcomings in others?"

I wanted to respond to this one because I have been caught up in the
same drama (different song, same verse...).  I like your list of
criteria, by the way.  It seems thorough and fair.=20

The problem I see is that while we can easily assess someone else's
professionalism, it is often hard to see ourselves (shortcomings)
clearly.  If we adopt the attitude as stated above about "..balancing
out shortcomings in others (sic: strengths)?" then I think we are
opening ourselves up for criticism.  If we are going to be viewed as
professional or having professionalism, then there can't be any area
where we "fudge" because we think we are making up for it in another
area.  Professionalism is all the things you have on your list and then
some, rolled together into subjective impressions by patrons, co-workers
and supervisors alike.  We can't control everything (heaven knows some
of us try!), so we must control the things we are able to control in and
for ourselves.  Rather than make excuses (only you can decide if your
reasons are reasons or more excuses), we can take the time to look at
our environment, our person and our actions as others are seeing them. =20

This brings to mind another clich=E9, but what the heck:  "the truth =
will
set you free, but first it is going to make you mad as he(ck)!"  When
you get an insight about one area where you could improve, because you
'see' how it looks to others, it will probably annoy or enrage you...
but that will be the first step to change.  I hate that my behavior
needs to be dictated by what others might think about my coffee cup, or
my desktop ambience or my shoes!!  But we always have choices --- do I
want to be right or do I want to be seen as a consummate professional.
I am the only one who can decide how far I want to take this image of
professionalism for myself.  Thanks for the forum!  Can you tell, I come
from a family of preachers, teachers and psychologists!!!

Cathryn Ellen, Hm 615-650-0408=20
Trevecca Nazarene Univ.  MLIS Class of 2003   =20
Wright Middle School, 5th Grade  333-5189=20