I only got a few replies to my query on teaching students how to write book
reviews but there are some excellent sites and words of wisdom here.  Thanks to
those who gave me some wonderful advice!

*****************************
I had my 3-5 graders do a similar project last year.
 The stuff they did (before I moved to MS) is at
http://www.ima.egreen.wednet.edu/bookreviews/menu.htm
They worked from rubric at
http://www.ima.egreen.wednet.edu/bookreviewproject.htm and resources at
http://www.ima.egreen.wednet.edu/LIBRARY/authorquest/LITERAture.HTM
These were done over a period of 8 weeks, about 1/2hr a week, though
some did come in and work during lunch or recesses.
*****************************
I've also used the reviews that kids do at the end of Reading Rainbows to have
them get ideas.
*****************************
Instead of giving a 'chalk and talk' type lesson, why not give the students a
scenario such as
"Your grandmother has sent you a book voucher from Borders (or whatever the
local bookshop is) for
your birthday for just enough to buy one book. But when you go into the store
you are overwhelmed by
the choices.  You look around for an assistant but they are all busy so the
selection is up to you.
What things would you like to know about a book before you buy it so that you
know you are getting
the best for your money?"

Have them work alone to list the key things they look for; then in pairs and
then groups of four to
pull the common elements of each list.  Then make one class list. Display it.

Also ask them what they look for when they are reading a story - what makes one
better than another?
Read a couple of passages from similar books, or two picture books on the same
theme, one that is
rich in language, character and plot development, and one that is ordinary.
Get
them to discuss the
contrasts between the two.

Add any new observations to the class list, and from that have them develop a
rubric that they can
apply when they write their own reviews.

The whole purpose is to get the kids to work out for themselves what are the
criteria for top-shelf
writing. Then, when they write their reviews, they know what they are looking
for and whether or not
it meets their standards and gets away from the "I like this book because it is
good".  Gives them
ownership of the process (and may even flow into their own story-writing) and
by
having the rubric,
which THEY have developed, they can justify their opinions.

Then when you set the review-writing task, give it a purpose.  Tell them that
Christmas is coming
(as it is) and many parents will be looking for books to buy their kids and
that
they are going to
produce a booklet/ website where the parents can go to read at least 50 reviews
(or the number of
students in the classes) before they purchase them - means everyone has to
contribute.  Advertise
the availability of the booklet through the newsletter so that parents can get
one from the library
(puts a finite date on its production too).

Allow the kids to select the book they wish to review - it's easier to do a
quality job first-time
round using an author/ genre/series you are familiar with.  As well as
publishing the reviews in the
booklet, make a display of the reviewed books and the reviews "Have you read
......?" so other
students can learn the role of the review in the selection process.  Send the
reviews to the
authors - usually care of the publishers gets them there - as they love to hear
the feedback from
their target audience.  Many will even use them on their websites!

And if you want to see the calibre and potential of student reviews, go to
http://www.yara-online.org - there are even some review guidelines there.
You may want to take a look at my site. I had some 7th graders write "Book
Hooks"
and published a few on the web. I had to explain to some kids why I couldn't
publish their last names.

http://www.ocean.k12.wa.us/ilwacohi/library/index.htm
--
Brenda Young, LMS