What are your procedures on AR at your school?  Do you use =
test-blocking?  If so, who has monitor password for overrides?  Do =
teachers have password and access to the teacher program?  Are students =
allowed to test on any level books? =20

We are having a terrible time with students going in and taking test on =
high point books, they have not read, just to take their chance on =
passing and getting the "big" points.  Also teachers are going in the =
teacher program and deleting test 3, 4, and 5 times and letting students =
retest immediately until they pass.  We have even had children of =
teachers who know the teacher program password and are getting in and =
changing their records and the records of their friends.  It is a real =
mess.  I talked to my principal (first year as a principal) at the start =
of this year and discussed how something needed to be done.  I met with =
the librarian at the middle school and she shared some of her procedures =
such as test blocking, no one having access to teacher program etc.  I =
talked with our Assistant Prinicpal who is familiar with AR about these =
procedures (at my prinicpal's suggestion because she said she knew =
nothing about AR since she had taught K for 18 years.)  The Assistant =
Principal helped me make out the guidelines, I gave them to teachers, =
and enabled test blocking, changed teacher program password, etc.  Three =
to 4 teachers (ones who were doing the majority of the cheating) =
complained to the principal and now she is threatening me with a "right =
up" of insubordination if I don't remove the blocks and give teachers =
the password. =20

This is my 3rd year at this school, 15th year as a classroom teacher =
(formerly High school Spanish).  I am very discouraged that teachers are =
given the freedom to teach how they want, make and enforce their own =
classroom rules but I am not being given the same freedom especially =
when it is to curb cheating. I am already discouraged with the fact that =
the principal and teachers want the library accessible at all times =
(which it should be) but they also require me to serve as a prep time =
for teachers for 5 hours of the day with only a half-day aide.  I see =
200 students in fixed classes each day.  =20

I have tried to figure a way to enable test blocks where students can =
not test above or below their level on AR books but are able to test =
from their McGraw Hill reading series.  Does anyone know of a way?

Cindy Martin, Librarian
Waynesboro Elem.
martinc@netease.net=20

:Never give up on anyone...miracles happen every day!
::Never deprive someone of hope...it may be all they have!