On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, Ted, Ava, or Jason Webster wrote:

> The company in question is called CleanFlicks. It apparently has franchises
> in 18 states but can't call them up right now.  They are under the gun from
> the Director's Guild right now.  CleanFlicks is claiming that the copyright
> law doesn't apply since they are not copying a movie and selling it - they
> are merely editing a copy the person already owns.  Interesting idea - if
> you give someone a book and they go through and black out "objectionable"
> material and give it back to you, is that copyright infringement?  I
> wouldn't think so...

How would this compare to oh, say, the NY Regents tests in which
excerpts from various literary works were edited?

Or... is this not the same as paying someone to create a derivative?
We purchase the media, the tape and plastic....

I also wonder about the impact on the work itself. Sometimes
eliminating the parts that might not pass the ratings test for
school can alter the entire meaning of a work.

I don't mean to sound negative. We have strict guidelines for
usage in our district and it would be nice to find a way to
make certain otherwise valuable titles available for viewing.

But if I were the copyright owner of an intellectual property
such as a film or book, I think I'd be concerned if someone
was altering it this way.

It's an issue to be explored and, possibly, dealt with.

J. Rathbun, Librarian                  | "You may say I'm a dreamer,
Mojave High School                     |  but I'm not the only one..."
Clark County School District           |
Las Vegas, Nevada                      |            John Lennon
Email: jrathbun@orednet.org            |