Many people responded that they are dissatidfied with Scholastic, too.
They asked for a hit of responses. 3 Responses were positive.
Here are the suggestions that I received:

They seem to have taken over the market.  We've gone
local a couple of times - both by bringing books to
school and by "coupons" at store.

Follett and Chinaberry have on-line book fairs that we
are looking into.

Waldenbooks does book fairs. You can have them in-store or at your
school. They always let me pick out my own books, but it may be possible

to have them select them also. It's a straight 20% profit based on the
value of the number of books you take out of the store versus what you
bring back. They are affiliated with Brentano's, so I suspect you can
also do book fairs with them.
Phyllis:

Two years ago I screamed loud and clear to the Scholastic corporate
office
about the quality of the book fairs I was receiving and the treatment I
was
receiving from my local rep.  They heard me, and they listened.  My book

fair this time is beautiful and I am being treated like princess.  I
decided
that I am not going to suffer in silence; I will always let my opinion
be
known to those who control the purse strings of the company.  So don't
just
complain to us.  Keep very careful notes about what you are dissatisfied

with and write a very detailed letter to the Scholastic corporate
office.
Make sure you send a copy to your local rep -- they are usually the ones

that are doing the sloppy work.  And if you don't hear apologies
quickly,
call them to the carpet.

Good luck with finding an alternative fair.  Scholastic has bought up
most
of the competition that I know of.  You might check with some of your
local
indepedent book stores if they do fairs, especially a children's book
store.

Troll us to do book fairs and Walden Books does book fairs.