 HIT part II
original message:
Marjorie Pettersen  08/29/02 10:18PM >>>
I am looking for ideas on things to include in a manual for volunteer
workers. I will post a HIT of the suggestions I received and also share
my finished product will others who are interested.

Reply 3: This reply refers to a previous hit in the archives:
Original Message
From: "Colleen Goodwin"
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2002 10:29 PM
Subject: volunteer hit list

 Thank you all for your responses to my request for information for a volunteer
procedure manual. I received 5 quality hits. The following is a summary of what I
have learned at a citation for an excellent web site I found on the topic:
What you need to know about volunteers:  get to know your volunteers always
verbally thank your volunteers have your volunteer's children that attend the
school visit them in the SLMC allow volunteers library privileges give them jobs
that interest them have a volunteer manual, if you don't have one make one If you
are in a union environment, you would need to check contract regulations.  Have a
schedule (that works with yours) so that when people call to volunteer, you can
tell them when it is convenient to come in.
 Have a list (a running list that you can add to) ready to let them know the type
of work that you need help with-shelving, covering books, story time, bulletin
boards, etc. (You might also ask what type of volunteer work they had in mind).  If
you have volunteers work on a bulletin board or book display, take their picture
and post it on or near the display with a thank-you note. You can also take
pictures of volunteers at work for an end of year thank-you party or volunteer
banquet if your school has one.
Possible Responsibilities:  Their main responsibility is to check books in and out
and shelve. There are other jobs as well, as time and talent allow: processing new
books, keeping magazines in order, typing, copying, etc.  The volunteers are
allowed to be in charge of the library when I am away with the understanding that
they will never be asked to teach a lesson or supervise a whole class. Those
volunteers who are qualified to do so are paid as subs.
Job Description:  volunteer coordinator (one SLMS has a town coordinator)
responsible for initial placements and training
Training group training - takes less time for the SLMS make shelving books part of
training Good training and supervision are a must.  The volunteers are allowed to
be in charge of the library when I am away with the understanding that they will
never be asked to teach a lesson or supervise a whole class. Those volunteers who
are qualified to do so are paid as subs.   One SLMS has fired a volunteer in the
past, she had administrative support Library program couldn't be maintained without
volunteers   This web site is excellent if you need further information on
implementing or changing an existing volunteer program.   Gill, Susanne L. Using
Volunteers Effectively in a School Library Media Center. 27 Jan. 2002. Register now!