We have a very successful AR program at the middle level.  Here is the way
we deal with some recently raised concerns:

=80All "AR books" in the LMC are marked with a small label (sold by an
independent company, I believe) that indicates Level and Points.
=80Students are tested using STAR, but are not given a grade level
equivalency, they are given their ZPD, or reading range, as we call it.

****If teachers are not instructing students in how to use their reading
range/ZPD, then I don't see how the AR program can operate very well.*****

=80 Students can check anything out, but teachers and the librarian work with
them on selection.  Experienced AR students know that good book selection i=
the single most important factor in passing an AR test.
=80Students learn to self-regulate their book selection based on reading
range. If they want to read other books, they do it on their own time.

=80We encourage students to start at the low end (esp. in 6th grade) until
they get the hang of what the AR system is all about.
=80We explain that AR levels are NOT grade levels and are often 2 years off o=
grade levels.  In simple terms I always said the levels were "assigned by
the company that makes the tests and the go along with the STAR test and
reading range to show where a student should be reading to get the most
growth."

=80Several 6th grade teachers will do a class novel and then take the AR test
as a class to get students used to the system.
=80Students gain and build confidence in their reading as they pass tests and
get to know the AR system.

The beginning of the year with AR is a high-stakes time and it must be
handled very carefully.

AR is a tool and as such it can be used well or poorly.  I did develop a ba=
of tricks that helped me and my students to really enjoy AR.  I think using
AR successfully takes significant time and effort from the classroom
teacher, especially if it is a graded program.  My ideas are written up in
this manual.  Here is my web site.
http://www.du.edu/~vgrenawa/ar/index.htm

Val

--=20