Dear LM_Net,

Over a decade ago I had a Principal try to remove a book from the school
library.  He was well intentioned, but he tried to remove the book without going
through the District's Challenge Policy (he even threatened me with
insubordination for not following his orders to remove the book).  The District
upheld the right for students to read the book and severely reprimanded the
Principal for his actions.

Even if the book is not allowed on the shelves after an official review it is
very important that the District's policies are followed when a book is
challenged.  A challenge is not an attack on the librarian, but is a legitimate
way for people to address their concerns about a book - even the principal's
concern.  This principal should not be allowed to unilaterally decide what books
belong on the shelves - that action is dictatorial and undemocratic in our
society.  If the Principal really believes the book shouldn't belong on the
shelf then they need to fill out a challenge on the book and let the process run
its course.

Also, by removing the book he is stealing public money from the District.  This
is theft and they can be prosecuted in court if someone sued him on behalf of
the state (even though he is responsible for the school's budget).

Peter G. Mohn, LMS
Snohomish Freshman Campus
Snohomish, WA
pmohn@foxinternet.net