This is the last posting for a librarian's portfolio.  Enjoy!

You should also include: lesson plans, student work samples, your
philosophy of education, projects that show your collaboration with
teachers, professional organizations you belong to, photos of students
working and of you in action, school related extracurricular activities
you participate in or sponsor, etc.  Hope this helps!
*************************************

Yes, I had to do one last year, and I am working on another one this year
for
National Certification.  Lesson plans, any paper that documents teacher
collaboration, a website page you may have created, books you may have
catalogued, special projects:  a bookfair, a book club, and student
volunteer
group, a special bulletin board, documentation of a conversation with a
parent or a student...the list is endless.  Just start saving the stuff
you do,
and you will be amazed. Everytime you do something or create something
save a copy and put it in a folder.   You can organize it later.  Keep a
journal.

I have had to keep a portfolio for the past three years.  I include goals
set for myself as well as those I set for the student body.  I include a
copy
of all newsletters I send to parents and staff, flyers advertising staff
development opportunities I offer, pictures of bulletin boards, me reading
with students, students participating in our reading incentive program,
and
lots more.  Let your portfolio tell who you are and what you do on a daily
basis.  You could run circulation statistics, AR reports, etc. You could
include lesson plans of some of your best lessons and of course, samples
of
student work such as PowerPoint presentations or projects that you helped
with.  Good luck.

You are a teacher!  Lesson plans, curriculum, scope and sequence, parent
involvement, student clubs, book chats or anything other
literacy-related activity.  Displays, bulletin boards, any new
initiatives you planned and carried out.  Open House talks,
organizations you belong to and Continuing Educational Units
(professional workshops) you attended.  You have plenty to be proud of
and put in your portfolio!

Include copies of your newsletter,
notices to teachers about new books, services offered,
etc., plans and evaluations of activities for National Library
Week and other holidays, photos of bulletin boards and
students involved in activities, budget, purchase orders,
grants written, flyers used to advertise library activities,
long range plan, policies, evidence of advisory committee
meetings, etc.

 Add any jointly planned projects/lessons with classroom teachers.  Add
lists of selected materials with samples of rationale for selection--after
all collection building is important.  Add samples of book talks to
students.  Add examples of library information skills integration into the
classroom.  Add statistics regarding circulation, students in the library,
student use of library resources.  Add examples of your library
webpage.  Add copies of policies and procedures that you have
written/created.  Add pictures of displays and bulletin boards.  Add a
self
reflection upon your role as a librarian--what is it that you do, and why
is it important.  That will then show you what you want to include as
examples in your portfolio.  Hope this gives you a few ideas.

Hi. ~I think you should include what classroom teachers include:
your curriculum and how you go about seeing that it is learned
with successful lesson plans as well as mastery tests (administration
is big on assessment). I think you should also figure out a way to
show you have increased and improved your collection in a
meaningful way to support the curriculum (to show your expertise
as librarian at choosing the best books for your students and faculty).

We have to do this every year, too. Some of the things
I included were things like copies of notes send to
the faculty, copies of notes to the parents, copies of
newsletter items submitted to the school newsletter,
pictures of activities in the library(School board
members and others reading during Children's Book
Week), copies of our weekly flex-schedule sign up
sheet, copies of lessons that I did, etc. It was a
long and involved process that takes the entire year
to complete!   Good Luck.

I worked on creating the assessment portfolio guidelines for MLS students
at East Carolina University. The results of that study were just published
by School Library Media Research. We use the National Board Standards as
the framework for the portfolio in most cases, then artifacts
demonstrating mastery of each standard, along with a reflection about why
you feel that this lesson/workshop/whatever best demonstrates your
mastery, are electronically linked on the school server.
You could do the same thing with Microsoft Word and a floppy or CD if you
don't have server access. You could even keep a paper portfolio using the
same framework. The biggest decision is how you want to organize your
portfolio; the rest will fall into line once you have decided that part.

I include pictures from any of the slide shows I have
created for instructional purposes, I include records from
book fair sales (in one school it is my budget), previous
evaluations of job performance, recommendations from former
principals, examples of games, lesson plans, etc I have
developed, and anything else that shows what I do. I have
been keeping a portfolio for 7 years in hopes of moving from
my district to another. It has been good to keep in mind
what it is I have accomplished.

I put a copy of anything new that I do in a given year.  A new lesson
plan I develop, newsletters that I put out, flyers for workshops I have
attended or presented.  Copies of new web pages that I have developed or
significantly added to.  Thank you notes that I get from teachers.  Etc.
etc. etc.  You will be amazed.  If you just keep a bright colored folder
on your desk - one that will stand out from the crowd of other ones, and
just drop a copies, notes on scrap paper etc. - you will be blown away
at the end of the year by all that you have done.  It will make you
appreciate yourself more and you will have  a list of accomplishments
much longer than if you have to try to retrieve it all from your memory
bank at the end of the year for a meeting with your administrator.

You jokingly mentioned a checked out book, but I would include statistics
about check-outs.~ And if your circulation has increased over the last few
years, I would put some type of comparison in there.

You could include any powerpoint presentations, database presentations.
~You could also include any lessons that you teach on award books, etc.
bookfair information, etc.

I need to do a portfolio for my first 3 years before I get tenure. Last
year I did a school wide reading program (K-5) that started in December and
finished in May. I listed my goals and then randomly selected 20 students
and followed their progress for that period. I included reading logs,
letters to parents explaining the program, number of students that
participated in it. This year I am considering do a web page for the
library. I haven't submitted it yet for approval..

Jacqueline Bergson
Rippowam Cisqua School
Bedford, NY  10506