This topic comes up again and again. At this point we all seem to agree t=
disagree. Which ever side you are on, nothing posted SEEMS to convice us =
switch "sides". I have a proposal;

I am one who does not philosophically agree with either Accelerated Reade=
or Reading Counts for many of the reasons already posted as well as from
personal experience as a child reader. =

 However, in reading the past threads I have modified my stance. I believ=
e =

that if I ever need to implement the program II can do so in such a way a=
to negate some of what I consider to be the negative effects. Specificall=
I have learned from those in favor of the program that;
- if the program is implemented correctly the points and prizes need not
control the program,
- that students who are not already strong readers can increase their
reading level, =

-and that using the program increases book circulation.

Are there others who while they are still philosphically opposed -- have
modified their view of these programs and if so in what ways.

I also believe that some of you who are strong proponents of the programs=

have also modified your views/practices based upon some of the discussion=
.
Could we also hear from you about how your views have changed.

I am in hopes that this will be a productive way to continue the
discussion.

Deborah J. Stafford
Gen. H.H. Arnold High School
Wiesbaden Germany