The American Library Association and the American Association of School
Librarians wanted to remind everyone that we will begin our transition
to our new Web site April 7.  Collectively, we have converted about
40,000 Web pages to the new content management system.  The ALA also has
expanded its customer service hours from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Central to
assist members and the public with navigating the new site.

The new site will feature a better search engine, one-stop pages
detailing ALA's work in major areas of interest, a more modern look and
feel and more content to help library professionals in their daily work.
 The home page also will feature new navigation headings:

* Awards & Scholarships (includes information on grants, fellowships
and professional achievement awards);
* Education & Careers (includes information on accredited programs,
recruitment and continuing education);
* Events & Conferences (goings-on at ALA, its divisions, office and
roundtables);
* Issues & Advocacy (one-stop pages for information on issues ranging
from diversity to censorship to literacy);
* Libraries & You (geared to the public, with recommended reading lists
and information on how to support libraries);
* News (the latest press releases, press kits and promotions;
* Our Association (access to ALA governance, divisions, offices and
customer service);
* Products & Publications (everything printed, published or sold by the
ALA); and
* Professional Tools (a toolbox of resources for those who work in all
types of libraries, including collection services, administration and
management and user services)

The ALA previewed the site during its 2003 Midwinter Meeting in
Philadelphia.  For a sneak peak at the site now, please go to:
http://www.ala.org/newsite.

To locate the new AASL site, you'll be able to use the same
http://www.ala.org/aasl address; or from the new ALA site you can
click on "Our Association" at the top of the page, then click on
"Divisions" on the left-hand side, then select "AASL."  You may also use
the "Search" function to locate pages you may have bookmarked in the old
system.  The new AASL site will also feature new navigation headings
that closely mirror those of the new ALA site.

During the first week of the Web transition, Customer Service hours
will be extended to 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Staff will be prepared to help
locate information and switch over bookmarks.  A new FAQ also will be
loaded onto the ALA home page with step-by-step information on how to
get to some of the most frequently visited Web pages.

"I believe this new design positions the association for the future -
giving our members the ability to customize our Web content for their
use, making the site more accessible for the general public and creating
a more consistent online presence," said ALA Executive Director Keith
Michael Fiels.  "We welcome member feedback throughout this transition
as we continue to improve the site."  A new email address has been
created to receive online feedback at feedback@ala.org.

For more information or assistance, please call ALA Customer Service at
800-545-2433 and press 5.

Posted by:

Steven L. Hofmann
Manager, Digital Development

American Association of School Librarians
a division of the American Library Association
50 East Huron Street
Chicago, Illinois 60611-2795

800-545-2433, ext. 4389
312-280-4389 direct