On 2 Apr 2003 at 19:40, Earl Sande wrote:

<snip>
> 2.  for Spyware and Cookies that are sneaked into your computer while
> you are  not looking - download and install the free Ad-ware
> version 6.0  (http://www.lavasoft.com).

Note: that's Lava Software, a different company. The url for
Lavasoft, the makers of Ad-aware, is (http://www.lavasoft.de/).
Their US page is at (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/).

Also, Ad-aware is only free for individual home use. Their  FAQ says:
: Can I use Ad-aware Standard (free) version at work?
: No, Ad-aware Standard is free for individual use only. For
: profit business entities, governmental entities, or educational
: institutions, must purchase a valid end-user license in order
: to use the software.

Spybot- Search and Destroy (http://spybot.eon.net.au/) is
completely free (it does ask for voluntary donations) but it
requires a lot more technical savvy from its users than Ad-aware.
If you do use it, make sure to have backups of your registry and
tell the program to save backups of all changes it makes as well,
just in case.

> 3.  Ad-ware may or may not work on the cookies found in your Internet
> directory  (I'm not sure), but you should frequently look at the features
> in the new Internet Explorer or Netscape (Opera and others probably have
> similar features) that eliminate the items in your cache and cookies.

I like Jason Levine's "Cookie Jar", which will find and manage
both IE and Netscape cookies in one interface. It's available
at (http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/). There's also a nice list
of freeware cookie tools at the WebAttack site:
(http://www.webattack.com/Freeware/security/fwcookiemanager.shtml).

Opera has its own cookie-management features under both the
File/Preferences/Privacy and File/Delete Private Data menus.

<snip various bits of good advice on keeping computers
safe and running properly>

And don't forget that there are various security programs (we
use FoolProof) which will prevent users from saving to the hard
drives or allow them only to save to designated directories
(folders) and which will prevent unauthorized programs from
running. These programs aren't perfect but they can save you
from a tremendous number of headaches over time.

Kathryn
--
Kathryn Frech, Librarian
Seton Catholic Central H.S.,