Originally I was looking to see what programs people are using for their
e-mail and really like. Here are the responses I got.

Sarah S. Uthoff
High School Librarian
Durant Community Schools
Durant, Iowa
uthoff@fyiowa.infi.net

Netscape Messenger
Netscape Messenger.

I just use the  email part of Netscape Communicator (used to be on 4.7,
now 7.0). I have no problems either at home, or at school where I
oversee the email accounts of 25 staff members.
Cathy

Outlook
I am very happy with Microsoft Outlook run on a PC using Windows 98 as
the Operating System.
Mary Melaugh
Marshall Middle School Librarian
Billerica, MA
mmelaugh@comcast.net

I have Outlook Express and I love it.
Kathy

Entourage
You didn't mention which platform you're using -- PC or Mac. I'm on a
Mac (OS 8.6) and using Entourage (part of the Office for the Mac suite).
I've also used PowerMail. Except that I can't get it to filter por*n
stuff the way I'd like, it works fine, allows me to have as  many
categories of mail as I want, to color them so I can see which ones are
LM_NET, personal, genealogy, etc.
Joyce Conklin
San Mateo Union HS District librarian (ret)
San Mateo, CA
bkwoman@pacbell.net

Pegagus
I use Pegasus mail. It is designed for Windows only and is free. While
it doesn't have all of the bells and whistles of Outlook or
Outlook Express, it is also safe from all of the problems of Outlook.
It is designed for email. Not HTML or Streaming movies. It is also
fairly safe from viruses. At least if you get one, it can't use your
address book to mail itself. Support is through an email discussion
list. The archives are extensive and may contain the answer to your
question. You can find out more at <http://www.pmail.com>.
Dan Robinson
HW Wilson Company
Bronx, NY
drobinson@hwwilson.com

I use pegasus - and love  it - you can get it free from
www.tucows.com

I like Pegasus Mail (http://www.pmail.com/); it's very flexible and
powerful, and has good security features. Plus it's free(and not
adware), and the email tech support group is very quick to offer
suggestions.

Softhome
I have a pop mail account from Softhome.com. It can also be accessed
from the web at www.softhome.net. I have been using the free version for
years and have been very happy. Last week I paid them $12.95 for a year.
Connie W. Welch, Librarian
O.L.P.H. School
Grove City, OH 43123
cwelch@softhome.net

Eudora
I'm a big fan of Eudora (sponsored version, so it's free).

I use Eudora.  It is a free program, downloadable ffrom the Internet.  I
use it at home and our whole school system uses it, too.  It has all the
bells and whistles necessary and it's free (in the "light" version
only).  Hope this helps.

Kathy Buursma

Mail
 running the mail program that came with my eMac . just called Mail,
quite happy.

Incredimail
For my computer based email, I have Incredimail which can be downloaded
for free and used for free. For my internet based email I use email.com
which is located at mail.com    Just sign up and you get a lot of space
and a lot of options. I think it is the best thing I have ever found on
the internet. And, I can check my home (or computer based) email with it
and also my school email with it. If you need any more help, let me know.
S. Colane Recker
Heelan High School
1021 Douglas
Sioux City, IA 51105
colane@email.com

Popcorn
Another product I've used is the freeware Popcorn emailer
(http://www.ultrafunk.com/products/popcorn/). No tech support at all,
but the program is _very small and fast.
It's a good choice to pop on a disk and take with you if you're
traveling and will be away from your regular email program.
Kathryn