My original request:
I have a faint recollection of a story that illustrates the point that our
perceptions mirror our expectations; i.e., the friendly person finds others
to be friendly, etc.  I think the story was about two people who lived in
the same neighborhood, one of whom described the neighbors as wonderful and
the neighborhood as a great place to live, while the other one bad-mouthed
everything and everyone associated with the same neighborhood because he
himself was a negative person.

Does anyone recall this story or know of a similar one that I can use with a
high school group?
--------------------

Thanks to LM_NET colleagues Cindy Denning and Anne Oelke, I have two sources
in two formats for the remembered 'story.' The poem "The Right Kind of
People" was written by Edwin Markham, an American poet whose work was
popular in the early 20th century and whose best known work was his social
protest poem "The Man with a Hoe."  Full text can be found at
http:///www.tibetchild.com/hopoem/k_persp1.html

Anne wrote:
"I recall reading a similar short anecdote in Reader's Digest several years
ago.  A couple planning to move to a new community asked the elderly
gentleman sitting outside the barber shop what people in this community were
like.  He asked what the people in their old community were like.  Upon
hearing that they were friendly, cheerful, great neighbors, he replied that
they would find the same thing here.  A second couple asked the same
question.  They told the gent that their old community was filled with nasty
gossiping unfriendly people.  He told them they'd be very unhappy here as
the people were just the same."

Mary Ellen Scribner, K-12 Librarian
Beijing BISS International School
No. 17, Area 4, An Zhen Xi Li