Thanks to all who answered my email about biography collections for grades 4
through 9!  Here are the responses I received.

Try Abdo & Daughters, 4940 Viking Drive, Suite 622, Edina, Minnesota, 55435.
I have several of the Bios from them, and they are informative and easy
reading. We have a very low reading 4 - 5 here. Are trying to bring up the
reading ranges, and these are good for that area.

Lerner in Minneapolis has several series of biographies at different reading
levels that work well.  Look for Rainbow Books on the web.  I've bought from
them and am fairly well pleased.  There are really good bios of musicians:
Handel, Dvorak, Ives which have recent copyrights and very well written.

UXL has some good sets. I have World Leaders (3 vol), Parents Aren't
Supposed to Like It (contemporary musicians) and Artists. They also have
scientist biographical collections and other more specific (Prominent 20th
Century Women, Performing Artists, etc.). Their prices are very good (around
$100 per set) and the organization and reading level of the material is very
appropriate. The students seem to use them without much trouble. I believe
you can find more information about their titles through the Gale
website/catalogs, and there is an actual UXL catalog available as well.
reviews are provided in Follett's titlewave.
Biography Today titles from Omnigraphics  <http://www.biographytoday.com/>
http://www.biographytoday.com

We have several of these type of biographies published by UXL. They're
available throught Gale ( <outbind://9/www.galegroup.com>
www.galegroup.com). I really like them.

Heineman (n?) and Franklin Watts and Chelsea House all have sets of
biographies that are good for 4-7, maybe for 9's, but usually the sets are
strictly upper elem and middle oriented. But they are decent, and the
publishers are always trying to come up with new groupings for sets.
Athletes who have overcome some physical disability, women who succeeded in
a man's world, that sort of thing. And of course, Chelsea Houses infamous
Gays and Lesbians of achievement. They may have pulled and reorganized that
one--it got quite a lot of flack--Martina Navratilova was the first title I
bought from that one.

Chelsea has many biographies to choose from for this age group. Ann Haines
Librarian Heritage Alternative Francis Howell School District St. Charles,
Missouri 63303

Karna Antoniw
Librarian
Instituto San Roberto