Joyce...

There are so many reasons why it is important for teachers to stay with you
when they bring their classes to the library. Here are a few... I am sure
there are many more!

1.  It is vital that your teachers view you as an integral part of the
instruction process at your school.  If they leave the students with you to
do "other" things I believe your role as teacher-librarian becomes diminished.

2.  It is much easier to team teach when they are a already a part of the
process.  If sometimes they stay and sometimes they leave, the aren't going
to be as receptive to team teaching because they will feel that their
"extra" time is being taken away from them.

3.  Class time with the teacher present is a great time to model
technology...  how to use the OPAC, searching Internet, etc.  I have found
it easier to teach teachers with their class than to hold extra in-services
just for them.  It is hard for teachers to give up extra time to learn how
to use the OPAC, but they are just as amazed as the students at the "tips"
they learn.

4.  Teach your students and teachers how to check out the books.  This
frees you up to help your students in book selection.  I have come to
believe that as long as I stay behind the circ. desk teachers,
administrators, students, parents will continue to believe I am a clerk.
There are valid reasons to check out the books... I have used them all, but
I have made a commitment this year to change the way I do check out
books.  I will find creative ways to let someone else do that job.

5. And finally... We should be providing open access to the library... all
day, every day.  For those of us without a paraprofessional to help anyone
who wanders into the library this is difficult.  How do we stop in the
middle of teaching a class to help a student check-out a book,  locate
information, etc.?  I teach my teachers how to do these things and if I am
reading a story, teaching a lesson and a students from another class needs
help.. they can do that.  Not the best solution... but it works.

Good luck next year!

Nancy Bellwood, Librarian
River Trails Elementary
Ft. Worth, TX  76118