Dear LM_Netters:
Thanks to all of you who responded to my question of what to use for shelf markers.
 I have gotten many ideas, which I will summarize here.
1)  Cut strips of card stock, poster board, or construction paper; let students
decorate (with or without name); laminate.  May use one for each individual
student, possibly with their barcode on for checkout.  Or just keep a collection
for students to use and exchange them for new ones when they get worn out.
2)  Laminate old greeting cards to use.  Write "Library Shelf Marker" on back.
3)  Get wooden paint sticks from Home Depot or Ace Hardware; some people paint them
to help avoid splinters and to give color.
4)  Get plastic paint sticks from Sears (which I did); they are gray and have holes
in, but are very flexible and do not seem like they will break very easily!  (I
asked for 40 or 50 and got 60!)
5)  Buy shelf markers from DEMCO or Upstart (though many people have not had good
success with these).
6)  Purchase name tags from teacher's store (the double-sided ones that can be
folded to stand on desk); cut in half and laminate.
7)  Purchase multi-colored sentence strips from local school supply store; cut into
14" lengths.  Use 1 color per grade.  Put student's barcode & digital photo on end
and laminate.  Tape edges if they peel.
8)  Cut strips from thin, one-inch vinyl binders or plastic spiral notebooks.  Put
sticker on (covered with clear plastic tape).
9)  Buy plastic or wooden rulers.
10)  Design shelf markers on the computer using seasonal clip art (or whatever);
print out a sheet with 3 or 4 on it and run off on colored construction paper;
laminate.  Make new ones every month or so.
11)  Give each student a file folder with their barcode on.  Use a different color
for each grade.  Student brings this with them when they come to library.  (Used as
library pass as well.)

I guess different things work for different settings.  For now, I'll try Sears'
plastic paint stirrers even though they are pretty ugly!  I'm trying to figure out
how I can decorate them up a little bit--use permanent marker or something on them.

You all are great!

Carol Good
Librarian
Tyson-Schoener Elementary School