Here are the responses to my target for what to include in a newsletter
for new faculty members at my school. Thanks to all who replied. I've
also included a list of what I hope to put in the new teachers' goodie
bags at the end of this e-mail.

You are welcome to adopt anything from this column. I've attached it and
it is also available at  <http://www.doug-johnson.com/dougwri/baby.html>
http://www.doug-johnson.com/dougwri/baby.html

I get a shot at the new teachers during their first few days on campus,
when I meet with them in the library. That gives me an opportunity to
welcome them in person, and stress that they can come anytime for
planning or help finding matierials.In my "new teacher packet" I start
with a general letter of welcome, inviting them to come with (or e-mail)
any requests they have as they begin their classes and a promise to
touch base with them individually in a few weeks. I attach a copy of the
library's mission which stresses service to both students and faculty,
basic procedures (av and book checkout, bringing classes, etc), notice
of desire to collaborate, including a sheet that I use when
collaborating, a copy of the Big6sheet that I use with the kids, a list
of our databases with access info and URL for our catalog. I also
include the "Are you information literate?" page from Joyce Valenza's
Power Tools, as I like to familiarize folks with the term. Hope this
helps.

This is a great idea and I've tried it at my school as a new LMS.  The
teachers weren't as responsive as I thought they would be, but I'm just
going to keep on keepin' on.  Anyway, as a new teacher, I'd want to know
the following things:

Checkout requirement/limitations for teachers

What do you have? - professional resources, vertical files, curriculum
units, kits

How can you help me? - scheduling for classes, etc; research when needed

When can I come browse?

Do you ILL?  If you do, explain the procedure briefly

School website information if you are the web-master

Any time limitations - if I need something by Friday, can you do it
Friday a.m. or do you need it Wednesday?

Information on any reading programs & my role in them - such as
AR/Reading Counts

I always like to include a few tried & true websites that pertain to
what is going on - like a back-to-school checklist site or good clipart
sites are always appreciated.  Also, any incentive programs you offer
teachers, special trainings, etc. would be great to include.

I hope this helps - and is received well!

I just finished one today for all my staff.  I kept it short, but

included the number of books checked out the last 2 years so they could
see

the increase, told about the mini-computer lab the library will have and

mentioned the name of the tech/computer teacher who helped make it
happen,

talked about our new reading corner (we had furniture donated last
spring),

and mentioned a student of ours that was quoted in TIME magazine this

summer for the Harry Potter article.  Also located in their packet is a

sheet listing examples of library services and a photocopy of the staff

pages from the yearbook. I crossed out those not returning and labeled
as

many as possible with their academic subjects and key people like

computers, etc.

            Good luck!

Here are some ideas:

1. How about the times for your orientation?

I always have an open house/orientation for new teachers. Show them
around. Teach them about your policies and procedures. Many of them have
no idea what services and colloboration you can provide them. This is
your chance to nip misconceptions in the bud and gather new partners.

2. List of recommended first week of school read-alouds.

3. List hours of operation.

4. Preview of the Year ahead: Special Programs, dates of special events
(Banned Book Week, Teen Read Week, etc.) 5. List of Suggested books for
Adult readers- Check Sunday papers for best selling books... 6. Links to
relevant web pages- yours, the school's, district... 7. Upcoming Cable
in the Classroom broadcasts 8. Hours of operation, email of staff, phone
numbers 9. Be helpful: List other contacts they may need to know- Human
Resources, Personnel, Payroll, etc,

Library policies, hours, special sections, procedures for bringing
classes

to the library.

I would include information that you will offer a crash course in how to
use the OPAC -- that will help all your teachers so they can look for
materials, too.

Also, give them the hours, what is available, new items/books purchased,
etc.

Let them know about reading promotions you have scheduled.

Tell them you are always open to working together -- and offer some
examples of past projects done with teachers.

Hold a Books and Bagels (don't know if you have a place there that sells

them) and invite the whole staff to see all the new things we've bought.
It allows new people to mingle with others.

I plan to post the newsletter I create on my professional sharing web
site at  <http://dogw.tripod.com/port_libraria/index.htm>
http://dogw.tripod.com/port_libraria/index.htm when it is done.

Goodie Bag: Small candies, individual bags of microwave popcorn, a
bookmark, and some novelties from Oriental Trading Company (
<http://www.orientaltrading.com/> http://www.orientaltrading.com). The
novelties will probably include a metal belt clip compass key chain (for
when they feel lost in their new school), something in a fish or
starfish motif to remind them of my BookSplash promotion, a plastic mug
with a smiley face for when they need a friendly face, and some resin
dogs with bone welcome signs. And, of course, the newsletter.

Deb Waugh

Librarian/Instructional Technologist

The Emmett G. Shufflebarger Library

at Graham High School