I must vent to the professionals just a little before I start back to
school, so please delete this if you're already at the saturation point.

Earlier this year I posted my complaints and problems with my assistant.  As
a result of several responses, suggestions, and hours of thought, the lower
school librarian and I developed a policy and procedures manual. It has been
approved.  In this we described our assistant's duties (this did not go over
well with mine).  We presented the manual to our assistants, went over it
with them, and stated that these duties would begin in the fall.  In
addition, I told my assistant that I would be taking control of the
cataloging duties---this made her extremely angry....but she gave me the
cold shoulder rather than argue.

When school was over, I was still working on the inventory; I did more
in-depth research and found that the online catalog was a disaster, and we
still had materials that were out of compliance with our state's union
catalog (which is now extinct because of lack of state funding).  I came in
during the summer and "locked down" the system by changing the passwords so
that only I could access the system--maintain the integrity of my work.  I
did not contact my assistant to let her know what I was doing because she
does not normally work during this time.   I assumed that she might be
visiting throughout the summer to check her email, visit with her friends in
the office, and do some final check-ins if they occurred (we had only 4
books still out from the students); but the likelihood that she would be
needing to work intensively was remote.   (Her ability to do any other
online program was not affected through my actions.)

My assumption that she would return later in the summer was correct,
however, the reaction to my lock-down of the system was horrific.  I was
told by our network systems operator that my assistant came to "work" and
could not get into the system.  She then contacted the network operator to
get her to override the system --which she couldn't (and wouldn't).  When
she couldn't get help there, she went to the lower school library --where
the elementary librarian was still working on her inventory--and asked her
to figure out the passwords to override the system.   When the lower school
librarian wouldn't (and couldn't), she "stormed back to the library" --- a
description used by one of the other individuals.

When I came back to school to begin work on the inventory, I noticed that my
assistant's grandchildren's photos were missing from her desk.  Then as the
summer has progressed, I have found that many items of hers were missing.  I
contacted the network operator--we're in the same building-- and she assured
me that my assistant is taking these things home with her.  We then
discussed this behavior and wondered if my assistant was so mad that she
decided to quit.

Throughout the summer I have continued working on the system, re-arranging
the library, and discarding materials in a storage room filled with empty
boxes, ruined supplies --old, worn, or decaying, and many of the back-issues
of magazines dating to 1929.  Because our request for additional storage had
been turned down, I felt that by discarding and consolidating we would have
more room--- we do.  In fact, I purchased a small refrigerator and microwave
for us to use in that area (we also have a small sink).

Last week when I returned to work (again), our systems operator came by to
tell me that my assistant had once again stopped by the library and tried to
override the system (not once has she called me to discuss the
situation--and because I was mad at her actions of trying to override the
system, I did not contact her to freely offer the information.)  I told the
systems operator that I felt that my assistant was being insubordinate to me
as the librarian.  She agreed and then disclosed that she asked the
assistant if she was planning to leave since all of her things were gone
(she said that she noticed her personal items were missing).  My assistant
said that she "had to take her things home because she [meaning me] was
taking them."  (I have taken NOTHING of hers!)  She has since gone to others
telling the same story (some have told me what she has said and have asked
what is happening in the library?)

Because I was so angry at this allegation and felt that I would most likely
say something totally inappropriate if I spoke to this woman,  I decided to
send her an email stating my actions during the summer (locking down the
system), my job duties (assuming the responsibilities of the librarian),
noting that I know about her actions of trying to override the system
without my permission, and restating her responsibilities as the assistant.
I have also told her that I was being told by others on campus of her
comments, and feel that they are strong allegations that must be addressed.
I asked her to make a list of the items that she believes I have taken from
her (since I haven't taken anything of hers---unless after ten years of
being the library assistant she believes that anything with the school's
name on it is automatically hers).  I also stated that I would be setting-up
an appointment for us to meet with the headmaster before school starts to
discuss our working relationship this upcoming year.  I also stated that I
felt that we needed to work through this problem in order to be productive
for both the students and the teachers.

Of course, I have not heard anything from this woman.  I am planning to call
her by phone this week to ask her to confirm our meeting date and time,
along with her list of items taken.  (It's taken a week for me to calm down
enough that I feel I can address her allegations without saying more than I
should.)

Right now I'm just so mad at this situation that I could "spit nails."  I
feel like I've tried to be professional about her responsibilities (since
she's never had a job description nor has she been required to follow the
directions of a librarian--thus the reason why there have been three
librarians in ten years!).  Obviously this is a control issue and has always
been--not only with me but with the other two librarians.

How could I have done this differently?  Or is this "tough-librarian-love"
in action?

Thanks for letting me vent...I must walk now....(2 more miles!)

~Shonda Brisco
Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian
Fort Worth, TX
sbrisco021@charter.net