There is a very good guest editorial in USA Today about filtering.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2003-08-05-rideout_x.htm

The editorial was written by Vicky Rideout, Vice President of the Kaiser
Family Foundation. Vicky was the coordinator of a research project on
filtering that was published in December 2002 (that I quote frequently
because it is a really good study).

Here are some statements:

"It's time to bring the process of Internet filtering out in the open.
Decisions about what types of content to block are based on vague
descriptions of options. Some categories are ill-defined ("gross" or
"tasteless"), some well-intentioned but overly broad ("tobacco" or
"violence"), and still others look like catchalls for those with an
ideological agenda ("lifestyle"). Filtering vendors cite proprietary rights
and competitive reasons for protecting details about how and what they
block. But this secretiveness needs to be abandoned; a public mandate
necessitates a public right to know.

Internet filters are coming to your town and mine. Those putting them into
effect need accurate information about how filters work, and a community
consensus about the implications of each decision.

Otherwise, we're turning over to private companies the critical decisions
about what young people and adults can see, hear or read in this digital
information age."

I am pleased that the ALA and others are taking up on a concern that I have
been expressing for several years now. If public institutions are using
Internet filtering software, then there needs to be public disclosure about
how and what is being filtered. There are significant legal issues involved
related to this lack of public disclosure.

The other, even more important, issue is that these products do not protect
kids.

Nancy

Nancy Willard
Responsible Netizen Institute