This is Part Two of a two part hit.

My original request was:

>In reviewing various plans for research, I often see a mention that
students should use "an organizer" as they gather their information. In
your experience, what are good examples of organizers?

Here are the remaining responses I received:

>We use the Big 6 here.  I have almost all the teachers using it
prior to research.

http://www.graphic.org/
http://www.sdcoe.k12.ca.us/score/actbank/torganiz.htm
http://www.ncrel.org/sdrs/areas/issues/students/learning/lr1grorg.htm

>There are many organizers in my two collaboration books (which contain
17
and 19 research based units, respectively):

COLLABORATING TO MEET STANDARDS: TEACHER/LIBRARIAN PARTNERSHIPS 7-12 by
Toni Buzzeo (Linworth 2002)

COLLABORATING TO MEET STANDARDS: TEACHER/LIBRARIAN PARTNERSHIPS K-6 by
Toni
Buzzeo (Linworth 2002)

>We use 2 column notes from Step Up to Writing - fold
paper vertically from hole side to right margin to get
a narrow column and a wide column.  Key words,
phrases, questions go on the left with space left in
between them.  Researched fact notes go on the right
across from the appropriate key word.  With K-2 you
can do horizontal 3 column notes with space for a
picture. Topic becomes basis for topic sentence.  Key
words become the basis for reason, detail or fact
sentences.  Notes become explanations, examples,
elaboration.

http://www.inspiration.com/home.cfm

>I love Inspiration Software 7.5. The kids can create exciting visual
graphic organizers and then
present it to their class via video projector.

And finally, what I ended up using was an offering of several
organizational methods for the students. I got these from:

Ames High School Research Guide at
http://www.ames.k12.ia.us/district/curr/IT&M_Site/AHS_research_guide

Big6

I-Search (search Google for much more info)

How to Effectively Organize a Paper by Theresa Torisky found at
http://www.bgsu.edu/departments/writing-lab/how_to_effectively_o.html