Huh, it is by Todd Oppenheimer. Notice that he conflates access to =
computer
with being able to use a computer; "This, at a time when activities that
aren't available outside school the way computers are -- programs such =
as
art and music classes, shop and physical education - - were being cut =
back
or eliminated."  Umm, we have drums, guitars, flutes, a full shop, and
closets of sports gear at home. Doesn't mean our kids know how to use =
them.
And I don't teach 'mouse', but I do teach resource evaluation, search
skills, deep web searching, notetaking, organizing information.

And then Oppenheimer does not expend any ink on providing data for
statements like "... Throughout the country, computer technology is =
dumbing
down the academic experience, corrupting schools' financial integrity,
cheating the poor,..." and "Yet the work the students produce with these
products is stunningly superficial." Not to mention the lack of =
percentages
but a lot of many's.

And perhaps a bit of research (even a bit of face to face interviewing =
with
a librarian, no computer involved) on what is available on-line would =
have
prevented the embarrassment of writing "...In class after class, =
students
are encouraged to conduct almost all their research online, which means =
that
books, magazines and other in-depth sources play a minimal role in their
bibliographies." Heard of subscription databases, encyclopedia, =
webquest,
pathfinder, topic maps, Todd?  I'm providing our students (low and high
achieving) with full text of over 1,000 magazines, almost 200 =
newspapers,
10-12 encyclopedias, news resources around the world,  and full text of
100's of quality science and history books. All online, current-up to =
date
data, no ads, professionally selected and designed for their ease of =
access.

Robert Eiffert, Librarian
Pacific Middle School
Evergreen SD 114 Vancouver WA
beiffert@egreen.wednet.edu
pac.egreen.wednet.edu/library
robert@crypticmachinery.net

Alice Yucht wrote:=20
Important article from Sunday's San Francisco Chronicle:

Computer illogic:  Despite great promise, technology is dumbing down the
classroom

available at  http://tinyurl.com/x4yf