Hi all--

I did two bookfairs the week before and of Thanksgiving break.  Here is =
my analysis of them.

The first school--has always had 2 Scholastic bookfairs.  The past =
profits were in the 40% area, and about $700 in vouchers.  Problem: The =
selection was not always great, I could not request books that would =
augment the curriculum, too much "junk".  AND the vouchers could only be =
spent in the catalog or at the warehouse for books that I usually =
already had one copy.  This year I did a Borders bookfair. I was able to =
request titles, got newer books in Spanish, and popular titles.  I =
profited at 25%, ending with $400 in cash as profit.  My booksale was =
the first for the Borders representative at the middle school level, so =
it was a learning experience for both of us.  And I had =
teachers/librarians from neighboring districts come in to see how I set =
it up and how well it was going, and any suggestions that I might make.  =
Parent volunteers made the bookfair possible by manning it during the =
lunch periods and during the conferences.

I have a choice of spending it at Borders and will receive between =
20-25% discount (depends on the amount spent at the time)--which will =
give me a spending power around $500.   Let's see:  vouchers for the =
catalog/warehouse vs cash  AND  nonselection vs selection.  I think I =
will be continuing a Borders bookfair.

At the other school they have always had 2 Scholastic bookfairs.  The =
past profits were in the 40% area, and about $900 in vouchers.  Same =
problems.  I am still waiting from the Parent Club about what the =
profits were for this year, but it looked to be about the same as in the =
past.  Parent volunteers totally ran the whole fair including setting =
up, tearing down, and manning the area before school, lunchtimes, =
afterschool, and during conferences.

In comparing the two sales, the first school had 95% sales in books. The =
second school around 50% (computer programs and the scholastic "junk" =
was the rest) in book sales. The first school I am able to spend the =
cash for things that will benefit student interest and curriculum.  The =
second school I am able to spend the vouchers either in the catalog =
(only about 7 items I do not already have on the shelves), OR at the =
local warehouse (again, already owning the majority of the books in the =
library and will just be getting additional copies of popular books).  I =
have to wait for the vouchers, I have the cash now.

My representative at Scholastic is helpful, but is not able to meet all =
of my requests.  My representative at Borders was helpful and cheerful =
about meeting my requests.  (Jean Wegner even was cheerful about =
unloading the bookfair in the middle of a snow "storm".  It was unique =
trying to carry everything in while scraping off snow and using towels =
to dry the rack off before putting books on it.)

We did learn, that special requests should be made at least a month in =
advance (IE: Spanish books, books on tape, books that meet curriculum =
programs)  Having LOTS of table space and book cart space is a MOST.  =
Although the Borders rep brought in a wonderful book rack, it takes up a =
large space that most libraries would not have available ( I did), and =
it was not easily moved (the fair started out in my library, and then =
for parent conferences is moved to the commons--since the library is in =
a back section of the school and NOT easily seen or found).  Smaller =
book racks would be a plus.

I know that we have had the conversation about Scholastic bookfairs vs =
commercial store bookfairs in the past.  I think by being able to =
compare the two side by side, I have decided that at the upper levels, =
that the commercial store bookfairs have much more to offer. It would =
also depend on the relationship of the librarian with the store =
representative.  The one I am working with is a former teacher.  I think =
that since my goal is to both make money for the library AND to support =
reading in the school, the store bookfair met that goal closer than the =
Scholastic bookfair.

I do think that if I was at the elementary level, I would still consider =
using Scholastic.  It is my belief that the elementary fairs were better =
equipped with a greater selection of books that were appealing to =
younger grades and readers.

JaKay Greer
Teacher-Librarian
Damascus / McCarty Middle Schools