First, thanks to everyone who replied to my posting concerning whether or not I
should purchase old encyclopedias. I decided to contact my World Book rep to see
about getting last year's set at a good price, and right now I'm waiting for the
callback!

Onto the next issue...my cataloging software just arrived from Follett, and hasn't
even been set up or customized yet. One of the parents at my school told me today
that she thinks I should get the classes into the library before Christmas. She
said that some of the teachers are annoyed that they are not yet in the library
with their classes. And that the teacher who had requested the encyclopedia (the
1961 set I weeded!) is mad that I got rid of it.

There is a real lack of understanding about my job, what libraries are for, etc. My
goal is to eventually have at least the lower classes come in once a week for class
checkout time, and I wanted to give every grade at least an orientation session.
But I always envisioned doing this once the books had all been cataloged, and the
opac set up. You might remember that my director/principal is not too supportive,
having made comments like, "Well, it's been nine weeks--why isn't the library ready
yet?" This is a new library with about 3,000 books to be cataloged, and I am just
part-time. Part of me says I should bring them in and find something to show or
tell the classes, so that they can see what has been done, what needs to be done,
etc. I am also tempted to do this, just to get people off my back, and so that I
don't feel so "small" all the time. But the other side of me thinks they are lucky
to even have the library open, given all the work there is to do (lots of schools
close until
 the library is ready).

I should mention that, right now, kids do come in on their own, individually to
check out books. So, should I schedule each of the classes for just one session
now, and maybe just give an overview of fiction vs. non-fiction, or should I wait
until I can have them come in on a weekly basis to check out books, once it's all
been cataloged?

TIA--I knew the first year would be stressful, but this list makes things so much
easier for me!

Amanda Power, Librarian
The Woodlands Academy Preparatory School
Spring, TX
amupower@yahoo.com

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now