A while ago, I posted a message asking about what novels students are
reading in English classes at the high school level.  I suddenly
realized I never posted the responses.  Thanks to those who responded.
I'd still like more suggestions, if anyone has them.

Happy Holidays

Fran Pfeffer
Librarian, Middlesex County Academy
Edison, NJ
pfefferf@mail.mcvts.net

If you have the latest PermaBound catalog, check pg. 262 where there are
a list of books that I use when making selections for the college-bound
student.  You don't have to order from PermaBound, of course, but I just
thought the list was a good one.  There are also novel units student
packets for all of these books.

The Rock Cried Out by Ellen Douglas
The Awakening by Kate Chopin
As I lay Dying by W. Faulkner
Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

Here's a link to some online suggestions, maybe she'll get some
inspiration from these:
http://www.mhslanguagearts.homestead.com/collegebooks.html

A colleague of mine has compiled some links to suggested-books sites at:
http://www.osseo.k12.mn.us/sec/pcsh/read/AwardWinners.htm

Ionesco - existentialist plays
Pirandello - existentialist plays
Paton - Cry the Beloved Country
Achebe - Things Fall Apart
Chaucer - Canterbury Tales
Wolff - Mrs. Dalloway
Individual papers connecting 2 works such as:
Scaramouch and Scarlet Pimpernel (French Revolution)
All the King's Men and Cry the Beloved Country (both about mayors of
town riddled with problems)
Crime & Punishment and Beloved (mental anguish and guilt)
Handmaid's Tale & The Bride Price

http://www.tandemfs.org/readtandem.html Here's what we are reading this
year. Bonnie

Point your English teachers to this page ...
http://www.shambles.net/english/ ... they should find some help there.

From the province of Saskatchewan in Canada, here is the link to the
bibliographies provided for our English courses, all grades.  Resources
listed are suggestions, and teachers can choose to use what they wish.
 http://www.sasked.gov.sk.ca/curr_inst/iru/elabibs.html