May I take this opportunity through this list to offer the sympathy and
support of all your Australian colleagues, especially me, to all those whose
families have been touched in any way by this disaster.  There have been
special news bulletins here this morning and again, our nations are in shock
at yet another tragedy.

Australians were following this particular flight closely because  a group
of our students from Glen Waverly College in Melbourne had won a competition
to be able to have a scientific experiment placed on board the shuttle and
we watched eagerly to see if the web a spider spun in space was different to
that spun on earth. They were one of several groups of students around the
world involved in different projects through this competition so this
tragedy is touching campuses all over the world.  Our thoughts are also with
those students and their teachers who created and achieved a dream.  Sadly
that dream has become a nightmare, but the good thing about nightmares is
that you do wake up eventually and see a clear blue sky and hear the birds
singing.

Today I found a quote on a scrap of paper that I had heard at some time and
scribbled down - I do not know the author.  "Education is a gift.  Teachers
are the ribbons that hold the gift together.  Children are the bows that
make it so special."  Let us contribute to making the best bows we possibly
can.

From a city that is recovering from fire, and a nation grieving over the
loss of life in our worst rail disaster since 1977, I offer our prayers.
Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher-Librarian
Palmerston District Primary School