Netters:

This week's Mini Page* focuses on the First Amendment (cover pages) and the
Bill of Rights (inside story). It specifically mentions how schools can
encourage the students to learn and practice those rights. There's a
picture of the students and principal at Fairview Elementary School
(Modesto, CA).

Next week's topic will be dogs.

*For those of you unfamiliar with the "Mini Pages":

It is a free, weekly newspaper supplement (on newsprint type paper) for
children included in many local newspapers. Mine comes on Sunday (in my
area it does, although years ago it used to be mid-week, and in other
areas, it may be on another day)and ours is tucked in with the Sunday
funnies, so you have to look for it. (Other newspapers may place it
differently). If you unfold the Mini Page, it is the size of one standard
newspaper page (one standard page front and back, not two pages front and
back, I hope I'm making this clear enough!).

Their website is:
http://www.minipage.com/products.html
If your local newspaper doesn't carry it, call and ask that they consider
doing so (& be sure to write & thank them if they do!) at least on a trial
basis.

The Mini Page is distributed by Universal Press Syndicate. Your local
newspaper should be able to contact them with that information. Kids at my
school love them! Most Mini Page editions feature a main theme that will
not go out of date quickly, with a small feature inside of current interest
to kids, along with puzzles & an easy recipe. Once laminated they last for
years.

Many teachers and library folk save the Mini Pages and use them year-round.
I have received replies to my previous postings about Mini Pages from not
only elementary schools, but also middle schools and even high schools who
use them and have an audience for them. Good information simply put for
lower-level readers but of interest to all.

Joanne Ladewig, Library Aide (A.K.A. "Library Lady")
Lawrence Elementary, G.G.U.S.D.
Garden Grove, California
shatz1@earthlink.net
---comments are my own and may not reflect those of my employer- - -