This will appear in the April first edition of my library newsletter.

Budget Update
Between our on-line databases, magazine subscriptions, printing costs,
overhead bulbs, copier upkeep, general supplies, and service and support
agreements the annual operating costs of the library exceed $11,000.  This
does not take into account computer repair and replacement and book
purchases.
The writing on the budgetary wall is all too clear: there is not enough
money to go around.  The library is forced to seek alternative sources of
funds.  Several of our usual, free services will now be charge  services.
 Below are a few of the proposed services and their fees.

* Xerox copies will now cost $0.25 per page
* All printing will now be $0.10 per page
* Lunch passes will now cost $0.50 per day or a student may buy a book of
25 passes for only $10 (a $2.50 savings!)
* Books will no longer be loaned, they will be rented.  Most titles are $1
per week, new releases and award winners will $2.50 per week.
* Library passes are $0.15 each, or teachers may buy a book of 100 for $10
(a $5 savings!)
* Internet access will be charged at a flat rate of $15 year per person
(there is a 10% educators discount for classroom teachers only).
* Reference questions will be charged between $1 and $10 depending on the
difficulty of the question and the accuracy of the answer.
* An entrance fee of $1 per person will be charged.  Groups of 8 or more
will be charged a 15% gratuity (no separate checks please).
* Patrons who bring their own books will be charged a $5 corkage fee
* Patrons sharing reading material will be charged an extra $1 splitting
fee
* Head phones for the computers may be rented for $1 per period

In addition to these fees will be removing all of the "Read" posters and
student artwork to make room for commercial advertising.  We are also
working on leasing the library's naming rights to a local business.  There
are still a few details to work out but it looks like for the next five
years we will be the "Ivers and Alcorn Funeral Home Library at Livingston
High School".

----
Tony Doyle, Librarian
Livingston High School
1617 Main St.
 Livingston, CA 95334
tdoyle@muhsd.k12.ca.us 209-358-2948
<Http://www.lhs.muhsd.k12.ca.us/library/index.htm>
"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture.  Just get
people to stop reading them."-- Ray Bradbury