Hi everyone!  This is my first year working as a school media coordinator
and I have had A LOT of problems with discipline in my library.  I work in a
small school with only a little over 300 students that are in 4th and 5th
grade.  I have a fixed shedule with my classes.  Each class comes once a
week for 45 minutes.  The time the students are in the library is also the
teachers planning period.  The problem I am having is that the students are
VERY disruptive.  They seem to think that when they come to the library,
they are coming to p.e.  They don't stay in their seats, they talk
continuously, I can't get them to do their work, etc.  I can't send the
students back to the class when they are disruptive because this takes away
from the teachers planning period.  I can't really send them to the office
because the principal feels that each teacher should take care of her own
discipline problems.  When I have asked the prinicapl what I should do, he
has suggested corpral punishment which I don't really want to do.  Does
anyone have any suggestions for me?  I have tried incentives, I have tried
making students write, I have tried not allowing the disruptive students to
get books and nothing has worked.  I feel like I fuss at children all day
long and it doesn't work and I really don't like doing it.  I really like my
job, but I can't handle the disruptive kids any longer.  Please Help!!

Missy Small, Media Coordinator
mgalloway@lenoir.k12.nc.us
Sampson School,
Kinston, North Carolina