I am hoping you will be able to help me locate the title of book a
colleague is looking for. She thinks the book was published in the late
70's and originally thought it was by Frances Hodgson Burnett, but her
searches have turned up nothing. This is how she describes the story:
"I believe the main character's name was Sylvia. She is a very poor child
who goes to live with her wealthy cousin. She is a very timid girl and
when she travels by stagecoach to her cousin's house, she's terrified of
the wolves she hears howling. (That's why I thought the title was Sylvia
and the Wolves, but again I've reached a dead end!) Sylvia goes to live
with her rich cousin and life seems great until the mother takes ill and
must go to warmer climates. The two parents head off on a steamship to the
Canary Islands. The girls are left in the care of a new cruel governess.
When the parent's steamship has been reported to have sunk, the governess
immediately packs the 2 girls off to an orphanage and steals the family
estate. The rest of the story is about the girls escape from the orphanage
and making their way back home to the estate. In the end, the parents have
survived and the whole family is reunited."
Hopefully, someone out there will recognize this story and be able to tell
us the title. Thanks so much!!
Becky Pendleton,Teacher-Librarian
Ferris Elementary, Richmond, B.C.
bpendleton@richmond.sd38.bc.ca