Dear Dear LM_NET Colleagues,

Early in December I asked for information regarding those library worlds
that included a merged public/school library.  The idea of a possible
merger of public library branches with school libraries has been put on
hold for now.  Eveyone's doors are still open for more communication and
idea development.

I received  emails telling where information can be found, sources of
study, as well as specific libraries where this is working.

The following list includes libraries in Illinois that are currently merged
as well as other ideas in our Nation.

Thank you all for your help.  Linda

Public and School Library Mergers in Illinois:

Albany contracts with Conway
 Sharon contracts with Peterborough
 Winsor contracts with Hillsboro
 Hall Memorial Library, Northfield serves the community of Tilton
 Bartlett Public Library is a combined school/public library
 Bremer Pond Memorial Library, Pittsburgh is a combined school/public library
  Campton Public Library is a combined school/public library
  Lyme Town Library is a combined school/public library
  Nute High School & Library is a combined school/public library
  Piermont Public Library is a combined school/public library
  Thornton Public Library is a combined school/public library
  Unity Free Public Library is a combined school/public library

 Herrick Township Public Library is located in the elem. and Jr. High
school building.  We have had this relationship for over 22 years, the
public library is open on Monday and Tuesday 2 to 8 and Thursday 9 to 5.
The township pop. is 687 and school enrollment is
214.  The Cowden-Herrick Schools have a grade school at Cowden and the
High school is located there also.  We house the Jr. High and Herrick
grade school.  The Dry Point Township library is also located in the High
school at Cowden.  We share one room here at Herrick,  The school owns
around 10,000 items and the public owns another 10,000 items.  This doubles
both the school
and public library's collection.

The Stillman Valley public and school libraries have merged.   The  school
librarian oversees both aspects

Here at Sterling our high school, middle school, elementary schools,
public library , and Newman Central Catholic High School libraries have
merged

Other States:

Thoughts from PA:

There is a trend away from such mergers in many areas due to
    security issues
    also space needed
    staffing needed
    collection development and budget issues

In PA a  combined library doesn't receive public library funds but a
separate public library can get matching funds from the state.

One of the libraries in the Dauphin county system ( Harrisburg and
surrounding area) near my area (about 12 miles to the nearest branch
library ) they have a district center and links on their website
www.dcls.org  - this is the Millersburg branch - a county  library tax helps
to support the system

Jersey Shore in PA was a school/public and since split

There are only 5 or 6 school/public still in existence in the state

3% of the state (PA) is not served by  a free public library due to lack of
local support.    Since my school district fell into this category  due to
the closing  of a library and the state library code we looked into option
such as school/public here.     The HS where I work just underwent major
renovation  which included changes to the library about 4 yrs. ago and our
MS is finishing up library renovations now.    We are a rural area - in
grades 9-12 at my school there are about 500 pupils.

Iowa:
Tiffin, Iowa - the city entered into a 28 E agreement with the school for
the HS to provide library services to the city.   Phone:  319.545.2960.
Our school district is made up of three communities - Amana ( our middle
school is also a public library for the Amana villages), Tiffin which
houses the HS and
where I am out serves as a community library , but Oxford which houses  one of
the elementarys has a separate public library.   At the HS this will be the
first year we will be able to get county and enrich Iowa funds - will be in
better
shape.  Amana which is unincorporated does not qualify for regular outside
funds
there is a special state law passed to allow them to collect funds - they are a
satellite of the Marengo Public library.

New York:
Ellenville High School
Ellenville, NY 12428

The public library in our town is a school district library. That is the
monies for the public library are paid through school taxes each year.
The public library has its own board of directors. Hence, the public
library sets its own policies and is not governed by the school board. The
public library has a public vote
every April to approve the budget and elect officers. It has never been
defeated as far as I know.

Arizona:
Scottsdale Public Library and Scottsdale Unified School District operate
joint ventures at a middle school and a high school, with a new combo high
school/public on its way next Fall. Scottsdale is a suburb of Phoenix, AZ.
The buildings are owned by the school district and the collection is owned
by the public library. The library is run by the public library entity.

S.C.
Ware Shoals, SC,

 A new library was built attached to the old high school. The
town public library (a branch of the county library) was moved to the
new library. The school media center was converted to classrooms and the
media center moved into the new library. The collections were merged.
The library serves both public and school and is open to everyone whenever
it is open.
It is a terrific success.

In  2002,  a graduate student at the University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign did his thesis on this topic -  John A. Moorman's thesis
called "Combined School/Public Libraries in the United States:  Three
Comparative Case Studies.

Three different communities with different ranges of population was
studied.   This provides a very through study on this issue.

Linda Reed, Librarian           http://www.springfield.k12.il.us

                Springfield High School Library
                        101 S. Lewis Street
                  Ph: 217-525-3100 ext. 303