Hi Folks
There continues to be a remarkable response to my appeal for teddies for the
children affected by the bushfires and I thank everyone for their
commitment.

I have now spoken to the manager of David Jones' online store and the plan
they have been able to work out is this ...

1. Order the teddy of your choice from their online store at
http://www.davidjones.com.au - you need to go through Childrens > Toys >
Soft Toys and look at all four pages.
2. Go through the checkout in the regular way - this will automatically
include a delivery charge.
3. However, for all orders sent to the PDPS address (below) between January
30 and February 4, they will manually refund the delivery charge.
4. All the teddies ordered will then be shipped to PDPS on February 5.

I know this may not suit some of you who cannot order by February 4 but to
have made the 'window' any longer would have made the logistics of doing
this impossible.  The manager is also going to try to run some reports from
the last few days to see if he can capture orders already placed and also
refund that delivery charge - however, it will depend on whether the teddy
has already been despatched.  If it has, then the delivery fee has to apply
because it will have already gone through the store's accounts from the
deliverer.  (I hope you can follow that!)

In the meantime, Canberra itself is in the grip of 100+ temperatures today
with very strong winds, and while the immediate danger for us seems to have
been contained, there are many communities in surrounding  NSW and NE
Victoria who are in dire risk.  If there are any birds left in those areas,
they will not be singing today.

Barbara

PS  Given the fantastic response I have had to this appeal, it is likely
that we will be able to give a teddy to every child who needs one.
Therefore, if there are some 'left over' I hope that it will be okay for me
to send these to the schools in the alpine areas whose children have also
suffered so greatly.  Many have spent much of their school holidays on high
alert or in evacuation centres or have been one of the dozens who have lost
their homes in these small townships that do not receive the same publicity
as the national capital.

Barbara Braxton
Teacher-Librarian
Palmerston District Primary School