The entire brouhaha surrounding this query to LM_Net highlights several important
issues and assumptions common to many of our members, old and new.

1.  If you ask for information, tell us where you have ALREADY looked.  That will
save everyone a lot of time, and also indicates that you are not just using this
listserv as your primary resource.  This is true for all members, not just newbies
or students.

2.  Everyone who joins LM_Net does it by choice, and most of us participate (e.g.,
read/respond) in our "free" time.  No one is forced to join, and no one is required
to contribute.  We ALL have busy lives with many responsibilities; whether we are
grad students, parents, caregivers, commuters, whatever.  That is neither an
excuse, nor a reason for vindication.

3.  LM_Net is a sharing *community*; if you can't be civil, please be quiet.  If
you really think that someone is being unreasonable -- and you feel that you must
take them to task -- then do it *privately,* please, or ask the Hospitality
committee to intervene.

Bottom line: think before you post, or respond.
Remember that you are demonstrating your own 'library' skills whenever you
request/provide information; if you want to be considered a professional, please
act like one.

Thank you.

Alice the occasional curmudgeon.

Alice Yucht, lifelong Teacher-Librarian
Information Skills/Library Management consultant
http://www.aliceinfo.org

"Tact is the ability to tell a person to go to Hell in such a way that he or she
goes home and packs, looking forward to the trip."
--Valeria D. Truitt