Here is the list of utopian and dystopian novels that I have put
together from replies to my target and from my own research. They are
not divided into two lists because it is often the reader's
interpretation that classifies the world of a novel as utopian or
dystopian.

I originally was thinking of this as a 9th grade unit, but having looked
at the titles I think it might be more appropriate for 11th or 12th
grade.

So, here's the list (and many thanks to those who helped):

Utopian / Dystopian Novels

Aldiss, Brian  Enemies of the System
Atwood, Margaret  The Handmaid's Tale
Ballard, J. G.  Running Wild
Baum, L. Frank  The Wonderful World of Oz
Bellamy, Edward Looking Backward
Bradbury Ray  Fahrenheit 451
Brin, David     Glory Season
Broderick, Damien       Transcension
Brooks, Bruce   No Kidding
Brunner, John   The Sheep Look Up
Burdekin, Katharine  Swastika Night
Burgess, Anthony        A Clockwork Orange
Callenbach, Ernest      Ecotopia
Charnas, Suzy McKee     Motherlines
Clarke, Arthur C.       Imperial Earth
Disch, Thomas   M.334
Egan, Greg      Distress
Elgin, Suzette Haden    Yonder Comes The Other End Of Time
Frayn, Michael  A Very Private Life
Gilman, Charlotte Perkins       Herland
Gilman, Charlotte Perkins       Moving the Mountain
Golding, William  Lord of the Flies
Graves, Robert  Watch The North Wind Rise
Haddix, Margaret Peterson       Among the Hidden
Haddix, Margaret Peterson       Among the Impostors
Haddix, Tim     Running Out of Time
Harrison, Harry Make Room! Make Room!
Hartley, L. P.  Facial Justice
Hautman, Pete   Hole in the Sky
Hazlit, Henry  Time Will Run Back
Hilton, James  Lost Horizon
Hoban, Russell  Fremder
Huxley, Aldous  Brave New World
Kress, Nancy    Yanked!
Lane, Mary E. Bradley   Mizora
Layne, Steven L.        This Side Of Paradise
Le Guin, Ursula K.      The Dispossessed
Le Guin, Ursula K.      Always Coming Home
Le Guin, Ursula K  The Lathe of Heaven
Levin, Ira      The Stepford Wives
Levin, Ira  This Perfect Day
Lewis, Sinclair  It Can't Happen Here
London, Jack    The Iron Heel
Lowry, Lois     The Giver
Maguire, Gregory        I Feel Like the Morning Star
McDonald, Ian  Out on Blue Six
McDowell, Josh          Vote Of Intolerance
Modesitt, L.E.   Archform : Beauty
Morris, William News From Nowhere
O'Brien, Robert C.      Z For Zachariah
Orwell, George  1984
Orwell, George  Animal Farm
Piercy, Marge   Woman on the Edge of Time
Pohl, Frederik  The Space Merchants
Pollack, Frederick      Happiness
Rand, Ayn    Anthem
Rand, Ayn  Atlas Shrugged
Resnick, Michael D.     Kirinyaga
Reynolds, Mack  Looking Backward, From The Year
Sarban  The Sound of His Horn
Starhawk        The Fifth Sacred Thing
Stevermer, Caroline     River Rats
Swift, Jonathan  Gulliver's Travels
Thompson, Julian F.     Gypsyworld
Van Vogt, A. E. The Players Of Null-A
Wells, H.G. The Time Machine
Wolfe, Bernard  Limbo
Wright, Austin Tappan   Islandia
Wyndham, John  The Day of the Triffids
Yevgeny Zamyatin   We

Lesson plans from Marco Polo that could be adapted for use with these
novels can be accessed using the following tiny urls:
http://tinyurl.com/gf4g and http://tinyurl.com/gf4i.

Deb Waugh
Librarian/Instructional Technologist
The Emmett G. Shufflebarger Library