Sorry about that last post. I was working on wording it correctly, and meant
to send it to my drafts folder, but hit send instead. I'm trying to get an
understanding or a policy concerning special needs students in the library.
I've tried to approach this subject before with teachers and my principal,
but I feel like they think I don't want these students in library at all.
I'm curious to know how other librarians handle this situation. Mainly, what
I'm concerned with is the lower functioning students (nonverbal, severely
mentally or physically handicapped) and those students who are on what our
school calls "behavior modification plans" (students who may not have a
SP-ED ruling, but their behavior so greatly interferes with their learning
process that we have this 'in-house' ruling to try to intervene.)  I have
absolutely no special ed training, and when these kids are literally dropped
off at my doorstep, I feel at a loss as how to help them have a positive
library experience. Teachers and assistants never stay with their class, and
the few times I have asked someone to stay, I was told, "This is my break
time."
I've had one child with autism who would scream everytime I gave him a color
sheet. I've had a child with severe brain damage, in a wheel chair,
nonverbal who would eat crayons/paper/books and anything else within reach.
I've had a child who was Bi-polar and autistic who would regularly scribble
all over the library table, take his shoes off and throw them at me or my
assistant, and scream or sing during storytime. It's not that I don't want
these kids to come to the library, because I do understand and agree with
the concept of "socialization", but so often these kids are frustrated by
the library environment and disrupt class so much that the rest of the class
is really not getting what they should out of their library time.
Am I within rights by expecting a SPED teacher or assistant to stay in
library with these kids?  Are their any SPED guidelines regarding special
classes like PE, music, and library?
Thanks so much,
Melissa Moak
Otken Elementary School Library