Since many of us have time, during our "summer break" to get caught
up on our reading I am offering the titles of three books that are my
current "favorites."  All three of these have a strong connection for
curriculum integration and should be great additions to many school
libraries.  I've added reviews to my "great books" page, if you are
interested.  :>)

Reviews at http://www.mcelmeel.com/mcbookwords/greatbooks.html

My summer reading has taken me beyond HP to a few new books that have
made my list of favorites.  I'm not particularly a fan of fantasy and
the stuff that makes HP although I enjoyed the movies immensely.  :>)
But I am fascinated with historical fiction and have just finished
reading two titles that were authored by Jane Kurtz -- a name that
should be familiar to many of you.  Her new book *Saba: Under the
Hyena's Foot* -- is to be officially released Sept. 2003.  It looks
as if it's available on the http://www.pleasantcopublications.com
web site now.  Anyway it is set in Jane's childhood home of Ethiopia
but deals with centuries past when Ethiopia was ruled by royalty.  A
great read that will open another whole chapter for those interested
in expanding their horizons into parts of the  world not normally the
focus of Eurocentric curriculums.  Jane's second novel is *Bicycle
Madness* -- it is an early chapter book about a member of Susan
Anthony's circle -- Frances Willard learning to ride a bike.  I was
especially intrigued with all the reasons people of the time had for
discouraging women from riding a bike.  There are links on my review
page to Jane's site which has a page of many connecting links for
information about Frances Willard.

And the third book I have listed is a book by a new author Greg
Leitich Smith -- the book is *Ninjas, Piranhas, and Galileo*.  Greg
is probably best known as the "cute husband" of Cynthia Leitich Smith
-- the author of *Jingle Dancer* and *Rain Is Not My Indian Name* --
but he won't be for long (cute yes; known as Cynthia's husband not
when he gets known on his own).  I'm sure this novel and another one
that I understand he has in the works will put his name firmly in the
mix all on his own.  This book has a little romance, lots of humor,
and enough science to attract those who might like to integrate
reading and science.  Fans of Carol Gorman's award winning *Dork in
Disguise* -- which also mixes humor and a science focus will love
Greg's book.  Greg's book has already been selected as a Junior
Library Guild selection. Perhaps the funniest part in the book
revolves around one of the three friends who is a adopted child --
born in Japan.  His parents are not Asian but they decide that their
son should know about his heritage - -despite the fact that he is
being raised in a pretty upper-class suburban Irish home.  The effort
his parents go to in order to insure their son knows he is "Japanese"
is very amusing but also is comforting to know his parents are so
devoted to loving and making sure their son is comfortable with who
he is - -or who he will become.

But check out the reviews page and see what you think.

Enjoy the reading.
Sharron

Sharron L. McElmeel
Writer/Webkeeper/Educational Consultant