This is a message forwarded with permission from The Compass.  Any of you who have
read The Stone Diaries, Unless, Larry's Party, or any of the other wonderful works
by Carol Shields will, I'm sure, join the Canadian literary community in morning
the death of this great author.

Diane Gallagher-Hayashi
Teacher-Librarian
Stelly's School
Saanichton, BC, Canada

-- START OF FORWARDED MESSAGE --

THE NWP COMPASS: POINTING THE WAY TO GREAT CANADIAN LITERATURE

VISIT US ON THE WEB AT [ http://www.nwpassages.com
]http://www.nwpassages.com

In this special issue:

Carol Shields (1935-2003)

While some of our subscribers will have already heard the news, many of
you outside of Canada may not yet have heard that Carol Shields passed
away yesterday after a long and courageous battle with cancer.

Since her diagnosis was made public some months ago, Northwest Passages
has received many e-mails from her readers hoping to reach her through our
website to tell her how much her work had affected their lives. This
outpouring of emotion says a lot about the power of Carol Shields' writing
and the connection that it created (and continues to create) between
writer and reader. These are books that have tremendous reach. These are
books that will stand the test of time.

To mark the passing of Carol Shields, we have done an extensive update of
her author profile at Northwest Passages. It can be found here: [
http://www.nwpassages.com/author_profile.asp?au_id=1234
]http://www.nwpassages.com/author_profile.asp?au_id=1234

We also invite you to leave comments about Carol Shields and her work on
our discussion board, which you can reach from our homepage.

Paul Martin, Rob Stocks, and Sarah Bagshaw
Northwest Passages

VISIT US ON THE WEB AT [ http://www.nwpassages.com
]http://www.nwpassages.com
Northwest Passages: Bringing Canadian Literature to the World Since 1996

The Compass is the monthly newsletter from Northwest Passages
(nwpassages.com), the world's only bookstore specializing solely in
Canadian
literature.
Please distribute this e-mail to anyone you think might be interested.
To receive The Compass, e-mail [ mailto:subscribe@nwpassages.com
]subscribe@nwpassages.com.
To stop receiving The Compass,
e-mail [ mailto:unsubscribe@nwpassages.com ]unsubscribe@nwpassages.com