Netters -

I recently shared this idea with another Netter who had a similar rule and
she was enthusiastic about my version, so I'll share with the entire
listserv as Vaneesa recently suggested. For those of you who have a highly
mobile (move away frequently) or very forgetful/loss-prone (elementary
level) student body -

During the fall orientation I stress this rule:

"There are Only Three Places in the World My Library Book Can Be" and I
have them repeat this several times throughout the orientation until it
becomes a mantra (I even have them do the hand motions). After they have
practiced several times, I ask three individual students: "Name ONE place
your library book can be" and we see if each can name one of the three
places without repeating. If not, we practice ALL TOGETHER AGAIN until they
really get it.

"My Library book can be:

1. In my hand (bring hand up and forward about shoulder level, like it's
holding a book)
(this emphasizes that the books are to be READ! Not just checked out!)

2. In my backpack (hand continues upward and goes up over the should as if
you're putting book into backpack)

3. In my desk AT SCHOOL (Hand comes down and then straight forward as if it
is sliding a book into a desk. (I always emphasis AT SCHOOL because in the
desk/on the table at home is NOT where it's supposed to be.)"

Due to limited library hours, our students may check out only two books at
a time, so I encourage them to get two, leave one in their desk and carry
home the one they plan to read that evening (we have a home reading
program). This way, if they move suddenly, we might lose only one book
instead of two. This "Three Places" rule has helped a lot. The only hitch
is that some kids leave their backpacks at grandma's or their non custodial
parents, or have two backpacks!

It is especially helpful for the students who are constantly disorganized,
since they know the book WILL be in one of only three places IF they have
been consistent! And having a specific place (backpack)INSTEAD of a general
place or "special place" at home has especially helped these kids. (Their
"special place" seemed to change from week to week or at their parents'
whim!)

Joanne Ladewig,  Library Media Technician  (A.K.A. "Library Lady")

Lawrence Elementary, GGUSD   Garden Grove, California
shatz1@earthlink.net

 " You may be only one person in the world,  but you may also be the world
to one person."
 - - - comments are my own and may not reflect those of my employer- - -