Oh Yes!!!!  I bought a set of the books about a year ago, gave them to one
girl, and they took off like lightning!  In fact, I never got the first set
back, so I ordered more.  Three months ago, I bought 5 sets and they're all gone
too, so last week, I ordered 7 sets.  Heck, at a buck a book, I'm thinking of
just placing a standing order for 5 sets a month.

I have moms and dads coming in to ask about the books.  Another extremely
popular series with my girls is the Payton Skyy Series by Stephanie Perry Moore
(African-American protagonist, Christian stories).

Anne Schraff wrote most of the Bluford books, Paul Langan wrote two of them.
Anne Schraff also writes hi-lo books available through Perfection Learning.
Many kids have begun reading them as well, even higher level readers.  But the
Bluford series is really great for those younger teens who come in asking me
for Flyy Girl by Tyree, or Coldest Winter Ever by Sister Souljah.

Now, I'm in a public library, remember.  And though I have read these titles
(and enjoyed them), I would be uncomfortable letting my child read them.  I do
help my young patrons find Flyy Girl, but I also show them the Bluford books,
and they usually end up taking out the Bluford book instead of the more
sophisticated (and age inappropriate) title.

Please no flames.  I do not make value judgements for the kids or censor.  I
hand them the book they asked for. I just use the moment to steer them to
alternatives and let them decide.  I find most may take both out, but they come in
a week later asking for more books "like Bluford."  I ask how they liked the
other book and they generally say they only read a few pages and returned it.
I have faith that (ultimately) most teens know what's appropriate for them.

I highly recommend them.

Sandra Dews
Teen Services Librarian
sandradews@aol.com