I hope someone out there has some idea on what's going on with my pc.

My home computer is a Compaq pentium 4 running windows XP.

My speakers are hooked up properly, no loose wires.  I checked that first in
case something came undone.

My volume is on, when double-clicking the speaker icon, all Mute boxes are
unchecked.

A few months ago, I put a couple music CD's I own into my drive and saved
them to the computer so I could keep the CD's in my car and not have to keep
running out there to get them everytime I wanted to listen to Rachmaninoff.

Whenever i want to listen to them, I click on Start--All
Programs--Real--RealOne Player.

The RealOne Player program opens and I double click on the track title and it
played, no problem.

Last night, I did this, the player opened, two notes played, a moment of
static, and it went silent.  I did a total restart.  You know that little Windows
musical chime that plays on startup?  I now get the first note, a moment of
static, and it too goes silent.

The only thing that happened is that last night, I got this little flag that
said that Windows updates have been downloaded and were ready to install.  So
I did.  It was after this that I attempted to hear "Rhapsody" and was denied.
Maybe Bill Gates dislikes Classical?  But even my husband's 80's tracks he'd
saved to the computer do not play (no great loss there).

So, this morning, I thought, "Why Not?" and I restored my pc to it's profile
BEFORE I installed the updates.  At least now, I can hear the AOL voice say,
Welcome, You've got mail," but I still cannot hear the music.  It plays a
second or two, has a moment of static, and goes mute.  On every single track--even
the Beethoven!

Also, somehow, my Norton Antivirus Auto-protect keeps getting disabled all by
itself.
I have to go in and manually enable it each time I bring my computer back up
from stand-by mode.  This NEVER happened before last night.

Things are also opening much slower since last night.  I got suspicious and
ran a system virus scan that came up empty.  My norton is automatically updated
and paid for through next year.

The only other weird thing I did last night was I double-clicked on the
Quicktime icon (on the Start bar in lower right hand corner), just to see what the
heck it was.  I got an hourglass for a couple seconds and nothing opened or
happened, so I said "whatever," and ignored it.  I also double-clicked the
Launch Intel(R) PROset II icon, just to see what it was, something opened; I didn't
understand it, so I closed it. Could that have done something?

Thanks in advance for any help/ideas anyone can give.

Sandra Dews
Teen Services Librarian
SandraDews@aol.com