Thank you to everyone who has played with The Hogwarts Challenge and taken
the time to give me some feedback - I have learned a lot.

Just to answer a few of the issues raised ...
1. You have to find the entrance to the quiz ... it is not obvious and it is
not the Platform 9/34 link! The new page has a hidden link just for PDPS
students - and they will have had to have read the book!
2. For the public version (ie yours) it is not intended to be a marked quiz.
Participants can jot down their answers and then compare them to the answer
screen.  My students will see the same screen but it will have an email link
to send me their answers. I could not cope with the volume of mail that an
open quiz would generate. The PDPS kids will not be able to see the answers,
for those of you concerned about that (it's all in the linking).  I don't
have the skills yet (or access to an SQL server) to create one that marks it
for you as you go.
3. The drop-down menus are only there as guides to possible answers and to
help with spelling.  They are not 'changeable' or clickable - they are
static.  Not all questions have drop-down menus.
4. Travelling is spelt with two l's in Australia and so I am sticking with
our spelling.
5. Everything is set within tables to keep it anchored to its format.  The
table is set to 98% of the width of the screen so it should be viewable
without scrolling across.  You may have to scroll down though.  That's
normal.
6. The numbers are supposed to track around the table left-right,
right-left, whatever...but they are sequential.  Think outside the
traditional l-r., or tell the kids Peeves has been playing around. Adds
interest. But I will try to make the next one clearer.
7. If the kids are smart enough to find the answers within the other
questions, good luck to them.  This is a fun thing not a test.  I don't do
tests.
8. The majority of the images are ones that I have created - Dumbledore is a
photo of a statue I bought especially.  Other images are used under the
terms of the licences purchased by our education authority for ACT teachers
to use in this way.
9. The dissolving pages don't work in some browsers - I knew that would
happen.  But the majority of our kids will have IE, and definitely at
school, so I work within that.  Some folk need to be a little patient and
enjoy the effect.
10. As I complete the quizzes there will be links to them - part of the
magic will be finding these! At this stage the last page is the answer page.
11. I have changed the trickster to Peeves - not Filch.  I was tired.
12. Please don't link to it yet as I am still developing it - the intro page
has completely changed after today's efforts.  When I am happy I will let
you know and you can try it with your kids..
13. The original title of the first story is Harry Potter and the
Philosopher's Stone - it is only known as The Sorcerer's Stone in the US.
Don't know why.

I have spent time today creating a new quiz which involves mapping Diagon
Alley, doing some shopping and working out the money.  But it is not quite
ready so I won't upload it tonight - it is nearly midnight here.  After the
Diagon Alley effort there will be a Sorting Hat quiz and then one for each
of the books.  I am trying to improve my skills as I go!

Look forward to more challenges - it is my intention to stretch the kids.
Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher-Librarian
Palmerston District Primary School