Hi Nancy and others,

Your concern is one with which schools and especially school librarians
are continually struggling and that struggle has resulted in a large
body of literature on selection/reconsideration policies for all
instructional materials.

Mankato Schools have, as do most, a formal reconsideration policy
<http://www.isd77.k12.mn.us/district/isd77policies/606.htm> regarding
not just library books, but "instructional materials." While there is no
rubric involved (or probably possible considering the range of resources
which fall under the policy), there is a form to describe the objections
to the material and a clear-cut means of registering the objection.
While websites are not specifically mentioned (yet), I believe they
could be challenged using this policy.

While I don't believe any librarian or teacher would recommend a source
knowing it would be offensive to a student or his/her parents, there has
long been a philosophy in librarianship that says it is unreasonable to
act "in loco parentis." We deal with too many kids and families to be
expected to know the idiosyncrasies of each one. Parents have the right
to exempt students from reading a particular assignment or from a
particular class unit (sex ed, for example).

We all have our individual standards about materials and their intent. I
find The Onion great satire; others may see the publication as "mocking
for the sake of entertainment." To the best of my knowledge, whether a
resource is included as a part of the educational program - whether
required or not - is best left to a local group which helps establish
local community standards. If a district process is not used, the power
to censor by individuals becomes too great.

Yours for intellectual freedom in all its uncomfortable guises,

Doug
************
Doug Johnson
Director of Media and Technology
I.S.D. 77, Mankato Public Schools
Box 8713, Mankato MN 56002-8713
Voice: 507-387-7698, Fax: 507-387-2496
E-mail: dougj@doug-johnson.com
Web: www.doug-johnson.com

"The fates guide those who go willingly; those who do not, they drag."
Seneca

Nancy wrote:

This article provides an example of why I personally have a significant
amount of consternation about using a district process that has been set
up to deal with library censorship complaints to challenge a play that I
believe promotes bigotry and harassment based on cultural background and
learning disabilities. <awkward facial expression>

However the e-mail responses to my prior query are running in strong
support for my actions.

I am thinking about criteria in this area. My perspective is also
related to how these issues are going to emerge as teachers/librarians
require or recommend web sites that someone is going to find offensive.
(I love these wonderful "teachable moments" -- even for myself -- well
maybe "love" is not quite the appropriate term to use here, being in a
significant amount of hot water at my children's school.)

It seems to me that there needs to be a distinction between "required"
and "recommended." And it also appears that there should be some
distinction between material that merely mocks others for the sake of
entertainment (which I would argue is the case with the play I am
objecting to) and material that has essential historical, artistic,
cultural value.

Has anyone ever developed some sort of rubric that is used for
evaluation of materials when such challenges are made?

Nancy

Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.

Center for Advanced Technology in Education
University of Oregon, College of Education
E-mail: nwillard@oregon.uoregon.edu

Responsible Netizen Institute
URL:http://responsiblenetizen.org

To change your LM_NET status, e-mail to: listserv@listserv.syr.edu In
the message write EITHER: 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET  2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL