I am working on a series of online activities for a book aimed at about the
Year 3-5 level.  One of the activities is to find the meanings or synonyms
for some of the characters' names because they have been carefully chosen to
describe their personalities.  I would like the kids to be able to do this
using an online dictionary or thesaurus and I was hoping that someone might
know of one that would suit this age group.  EnchantedLearning is too simple
and doesn't have the words I want, and whilst they could use one like
http://www.yourdictionary.com  or
http://thesaurus.plumbdesign.com/online/index.html I was hoping that there
was a fun one online that is free, easy to use and uses words they can
understand.  For instance, one of the characters is called Bombastic and the
thesaurus site says "turgid, declamatory, orotund, ostentatiously lofty in
style" none of which is going to be easy for a 10-year-old to grasp!

Apart from learning the meanings of the words and seeing how they describe
the character so well, it will also provide an Information Literacy
opportunity for students to learn how to navigate a website and select the
appropriate information from it.  I shall also have them compare the
meanings with a print source so they are learning dictionary and thesaurus
skills at the same time.  :>}

I shall post a hit of suggestions.
Thanks
Barbara