Some have wondered what happened to this issue.
I wrote to Senator Hutchison in April.  Her reply was dated May 19, but I
received it on June 24 (ultimate snail mail!!)  Below is the reply from
Senator Hutchison.

Dear Mary,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Governmental Pension onset (GPO).
I welcome your thoughts and comments on this issue.

H.R. 4070, the Social Security Program Protection Act .of 2002, was
introduced by Representative E. Clay Shaw, Jr. of Florida .01) March 20,
2002. The House of Representatives passed the bill in June 26,2002, by a
vote .of 425JoO. The Senate passed an amended version .of H.R. 4070 .on
November 18, 2002, and included a provision that would have changed the
"last day rule" .of the GPO, which currently reduces the Social Security'
spousa1 benefits of a pension recipient from a job that is not covered by
Social Security. Under the "last day rule," however, an individual is exempt
from the GPO if he or she worked in a job that was covered by Social
Security on his or her last day of employment. The Senate version .of H.R.
4070 amended the law so an individual would be required to work in a Social
Security-covered job for the last five years of employment to be exempted
from the GPO.'

 Working men and women have a right to expect that their hard-earned
retirement
benefits, will be protected. At the same time, I believe it is important
that we work to ensure that our Social Security system is fair to all
participants. The House of Representatives did not vote on the Senate
version of the bill, and no legislation was sent to President Bush to be
signed.  Should the legislation be reintroduced in the 1O8th Congress, you
can be certain I will keep your views in mind.

I appreciate hearing from you and hope you will not hesitate to keep in
touch on any issue of concern to you.

   Sincerely,
   Kay Bailey Hutchison

Mary Ludwick, Librarian         K-5 Elementary
Owen Elementary, The Colony, Texas (near Dallas)
ludwickm@lisd.net  (school address)
ludwick@swbell.net (home address)
Little known fact: "Don't Mess With Texas" is an
anti-litter campaign slogan.