Regarding lack of Table of Contents and Index:
    I have taught my students that NF books without these two essential
elements to research should be avoided.
I have always thought it so sad that the wonderful Seymour Simon books have
no index or TOC.
I dare say that publishers have not been deluged with letters of complaint
so they just toss off the idea if it is mentioned in a review.

         Perhaps a solution (very time consuming and a lot of work) would be
for all of us  to begin a campaign for this.
Create a letter and send it to every publisher who does not include this
data (such a form letter saved on your computer would take little to make it
personalized for that publisher and book) .  The letter could say, "I wanted
to purchase your books but decided I would not since there is no index or
TOC."   Also complain to the sales rep.
If one person complains, he/she is not considered to be a representative of
the body of users.  If 100 complain, the publishers would begin to listen
(surely 100 librarians cannot all be nut cases!)
          As I said, this would be time consuming and a pain to do,but I
think it is the only  way to make a difference.

Mary Ludwick, Librarian         K-5 Elementary
Owen Elementary, The Colony, Texas (near Dallas)
ludwickm@lisd.net  (school address)
ludwick@swbell.net (home address)
Little known fact: "Don't Mess With Texas" is an
anti-litter campaign slogan.