I'm sorry to hear what happened to your records. We have Follett
also--we back up nightly on the C drive and weekly on floppy disc that I
take home--this is the procedure that Follett recommended to us--there
could be (Follett rep had this happen to her) the case of fire in the
building that could destroy your backup file if left on the premise.  It
really doesn't take but minutes a day--but what a lifesaver if anything
should (and easily COULD happen).  Sort of like life insurance....

>>> Christine Findlay <FindlayC@CENTERVILLE.K12.OH.US> 03/01/03 08:59 AM

Lynn, it makes me sick to hear that you may have lost all of your data.
I doubt there could be a way to recover 100% from that.  Do you
subscribe to Alliance from Follett?   If not, I would think that your
district should buy a subscription to that as soon as possible....they
owe you that much!  With Alliance, you could get back records for most
of the items on your shelves and that would be a good start.  You are
not going to have your circ history, but at least you could start
circulating again.  Maybe as you get records into Follett on the new
server, you could put those books in a particular location and those are
the ones available for checkout.  This assumes they will replace the
server right away.  If you don't think that is going to happen, perhaps
you should contact Follett and see about loading just the circ & cat
modules on a single computer.  I'm not sure if that is possible anymore,
but it seems to me you need a viable way to start recovering MARC
records.  The Follett people are always so helpful.  I hope you have
called them for suggestions.

Your note has helped to reinforce my theory that I both preach and
practice:  Don't count on your tech dept.'s backup.  Always do a
diskette backup at least once a week.  You don't have to tell them you
have it. It can be your own little secret and your own little salvation.
 We back up to a server and then to a vault.  I think we are safe.  But
I still back up nightly to random machine hard drives in my media center
and once a week to diskette.  I'm not really paranoid.  I've had to
restore a couple of times and the tech dept.'s backup was never useful
for that:  bad tape; open files, blah blah blah.  They say their new
vault system will work and I believe them.  But I am not about to
recreate my media center from scratch, so I do my own backup, too.

Christine Findlay
Central Resource Center
Centerville City Schools
Centerville, OH 45458