> Subject: Re: GEN: Losing your library data --> backup practices
> A harrowing experience a couple of years ago involving our tech people and
> the server (they said it was backing up daily and I found out it had not
> made a useable backup for a year!) forced me to make redundant backups. I
> bought another hard drive for my workstation and now I do a daily backup
> the server and my extra hard drive. Every couple of weeks I take a copy of
> a backup home and burn it on a CD. I hope that is sufficient, but I'm
eager
> to hear what others are doing.

My program has an archive feature, which I employ on days I use the program.
I'm in the midst of cataloguing our school library's collection--there was
initially no card catalogue nor even a list of what was supposed to be in
the library when I started--therefore, my program mostly gets used on
Fridays. My teaching staff  (we're primary to grade five) have agreed to
allow me one day per week to catalogue; I don't schedule classes although
the library is certainly open if they chose to bring their classes down. I'm
not currently running automated circ, but will once more of the collection
is catalogued.

The area computer tech assures me that all the "important" information on
the server is backed up, and yes, he _does_ consider the library info to be
important, bless his little techie heart. *G* Every day that I catalogue I
also burn a back up of my data files to CD--I don't burn the program files
as the program is easily d/l from the company's web site and it's the most
current update of the program. I don't currently take/store a back up off
site, although it does sound like a good idea.

Later

Stacy

"What a school thinks about its library is a measure of what it thinks about
education."  Harold Howe
Stacy L.A. Bugden
Library Technician
Champlain Elementary School