There is soft free software called Ad-Aware available at
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ which you can download and install, and then
have it scan your system for all sorts of spyware.  It checks all your files
for all these hidden nasties (which are programmed to send info about the
sites you visit back to its 'parent site' so they can target you with spam)
and then you can delete them.

This is from the blurb .... "While the Internet is a powerful resource and
provides users with many useful and often entertaining things to see and do,
it also has its dark side.
Most people are familiar with freeware, shareware, cookies, media players,
interactive content, and file sharing. What they may not realize is that
some of the aforementioned may contain code or components that allow the
developers of these applications and tools to actually collect and
disseminate information about those using them.
They can track your surfing habits, abuse your Internet connection by
sending this data to a third party, profile your shopping preferences,
hijack your browser start page or pages, alter important system files, and
can do this without your knowledge or permission. The security and privacy
implications of these exploits should be quite obvious and undesirable on
any system or network!  Lavasoft is the industry leader and most respected
provider of anti Trackware solutions. We have developed several applications
that will provide you with the means to keep your computer or network free
of these compromising and intrusive threats to your privacy. "

I scan my machine every other week and am surprised what is picked up, and
it was the only way I found to get rid of all the files associated with
Comet Cursor.

May I also suggest that you NEVER respond to any emails that are spam,
especially those that say "reply to this if you do not want to receive any
more "because all that does is confirm that they have reached an active
email account."  If you are using Outlook you can set up filters for
addresses that send junk mail straight to the trash, by following the
instructions in Tools > Rules Wizard".

Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher-Librarian