A simple request was made regarding the origination of a quote.  A response
was made adding political viewpoints.  Now we are airing our personal
political views and pointing fingers.

I think, especially as librarians, we should review the political resources
available to us and be aware of all information now available that reflects
diverse facts, ideas, opinions, and statements.  This includes books,
national and international journals and newspapers, and personal
conversations with those who are from those parts of the world--here in
Texas it's easy to meet someone from the Middle East and learn something
from a different perspective if you're willing to listen.

I recently purchased 10 titles for our political science teacher (we already
own a "serious collection" of political science titles, but he wanted a
variety of perspectives on the recent conflict issues) and I watched as
juniors and seniors eagerly picked up 800 (+) page books to read over Spring
Break next week.  Their willingness to review recent world history was both
refreshing and impressive.  It was something that I had only recently begun
and find extremely fascinating.

Last week I also watched our speech and debate class as they compared,
reviewed, and utilized (extensively) two databases---Opposing Viewpoints and
SIRS--- for their debate topics which included the invasion of Iraq.   Their
opinions of the databases were only surpassed by their questions about
political situations around the world.

Now, I watch on television as fresh-faced kids who were once in our
classrooms prepare for military conflict.  How many of these students
understand the history that preceded them and the history that they will
soon be making?  Did we prepare them well?  Can we prepare others?

I think that often we, as librarians, are called upon to be the neutral
party--think of censorship issues and our desire to defend materials that
others feel are inappropriate.  One of the responsibilities in this
profession is the ability to see both sides of the issue while staying
neutral, regardless of our personal opinions.  I feel that the ability to
let others see us as someone who can not only direct them to information
that they can use to make decisions but also give them information that
exposes both sides of the issue is what our profession requires.

That does not make us ignorant and it does not make us less political, it
just makes us impartial.  At this point in time I think it is important for
us, as professional librarians, to be the neutral party who directs each
individual to information that they need based upon their requests,
regardless of our own beliefs.

~Shonda Brisco
Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian
Fort Worth, TX