ONe last note on how to thank volunteers:  I was in a book store last
night, and they have a Chicken Soup for The Souls for Volunteers book
out!  I know it's a little spendy at 12.95, but what a nice gift!  Just
thought I'd let those who were interested know:)

>Dear LMnetters,
>Enough people requested the hits to my question in regards to thanking
>volunteers that I thought I would just pass it on to the whole list. What
>follows it a complete (I hope:-) list of hits. Again, many thanks for the
>great suggestions.
>
>Angelika Ross, Librarian
>Oakland Christian School
>Auburn Hills MI
>ah1300@wayne.edu
>
>I had great luck this year with a bookmark, personally and economically made
>for each volunteer (I have 60).  I took a digital picture of each
>volunteer's child (or children) in the library "reading" a favorite book.
>This took a few moments a day for about two weeks.  Then I created a
>bookmark in a graphics program "Thanks for booking me into your schedule.
>I'm glad you were here." was my caption and I put a decorative border around
>it.  5 to a page; landscape printed.  Between the two sentences (top large,
>bottom small) I pasted the picture of the child, about 1"x2" (or smaller).
>Before laminating the bookmarks, I brought them to the classrooms and had
>every child in the class sign the back - after all, each student enjoyed the
>care and concern of the parents who helped them.  Laminate and deliver and
>WOW what a response!
>       I told this story to a woman on vacation in Jamaica recently.  She
>laughed and pulled a bookmark with her son's photo on it - made in school 5
>years ago.  Beaten up and beloved.
>
>Our school holds a volunteer "breakfast" with muffins, bagels, danish, etc.,
>coffee, tea and juice.  To cut costs each teacher who forwards names of
>volunteers provides a plate of goodies for the breakfast.  The school
>provides the drinks.  Each class in elementary then makes something that can
>act as a gift that is then presented to each volunteer.  Items in the past
>have included plants grown from seed, custom-made bookmarks, and collages.
>We hold it in the library from 7:30 - 9:00 in the morning and invite all
>interested parties (volunteer and staff) to drop in anytime during the
>session to chat with each other.  We have a junior-high special needs class
>that organizes this event every year as part of their life-skills unit.  It
>works well and everyone always has a nice time.
>
>I checked my favorite recipe site www.allrecipes.com and found they have =
>lots of cookie in a jar recipes.
>If you don't want to follow the links (click on "cookie" first), this =
>URL should take you to the cookie in  a jar recipes.
>http://allrecipes.com/cb/kh/cookie/jar/default.asp
>
>Here is a great book to use for these projects:
>
>Title:  Gifts in a jar : cookies, recipes to make your own gifts.
>Publication info:  Waverly, IA : CQ Products, c2001.
>
>A tea for volunteers.  Be sure to recognize them in your school newsletter
>or any other public way (website too).  A personal thank you note, hand
> [...]

Raynette Schulte
Lincoln School Librarian
Watertown, SD
rschulte@wtn.k12.sd.us

"To every complex situation, there is a simple solution.  But it's the
wrong solution."- Anonymous